Hi... im cooked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi... im cooked.

Hi there, just joined your awesome site. tomorrow the builders start building a wood fire oven in my kitchen. it will be built outside but the oven door will be on the inside. i live in Hungary and am struggling to convey all ive learnt from this site to the builders (i dont speak Hungarian). lets see what they come up with as they have assured me it will be able to cook all sorts
    i cook on a open wood fire whenever i can but this will be my first proper oven... cant wait.......

Welcome

Sounds like you have a big job in front of you.

Your situation is challenging because of the language difference, but additionally, I'm sure your builders know how to build an oven that is NOT as efficient as the oven featured in the free plans from this site. Be sure you understand the requirements of the pompeii plans and follow the progress day by day to be sure each step is according to the plans -show them the pictures from the plans, that will help them understand what you want.

One big issue will be designing the flu location as you vent the smoke away from inside your house. Be sure to keep the door height to 63% of dome height and enough flu area to keep the smoke outside.

Good Luck
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Hi... im cooked.

Good advice from Lee, for sure. If there's anything you want to be absolutely clear about with your builders, it's NOT to scrimp on insulation or use questionable substitutes.
      Good luck with your most valuable endeavor.

Comment

thanks for the help guys. - the builders have been delayed for who knows what other reasons other than cold and rain. things are a dragging, but they promised it will be finished by saturday....lets see!!! i will post pics etc of the build in another thread. (if i can figure out how to attach pictures)
        as my maths is also quite bad, maybe someone can help me out.... the oven door will be 57.5 x 49.5cm thats roughly 19.5 inches high. would i be right in saying the oven height would need to be 62cm (24.5inches) to be the required 62.5 % ratio?

your help will be greatly appreciated..... thanks in advance

Comment

this is the door of the oven.....

Comment

Originally posted by cooked View Post
            this is the door of the oven.....
            mmmmmm - that pic upload did not work - ill try again.....

Comment

third time lucky....

Comment

Hi Cooked.
                If you have trouble communicating with your builders it may be best to draw what you want, most people can understand a drawing in any language.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                  Hi Cooked.
                  If you have trouble communicating with your builders it may be best to draw what you want, most people can understand a drawing in any language.
                  hi... yes i have given them loads of pics etc. i just really need to find out if my maths is correct - eg. is 49.5cm - 63% of 62cm just need confirmation before i make a big booboo. they have promised to start laying the bricks tomorrow. the concrete foundation was laid out yesterday. the foundation is about 20cm thick and is directly laid onto clay soil. (the room is lower than the ground surface).

so please - if anybody can confirm my maths

Comment

Work backwards.
                    Your oven internal dome height is 620mm * .63 = 390mm for the top of the door.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i cant work backwards as my door is 49.5cm high. therefore i need to figure out how high my dome should be built.

Comment

Originally posted by cooked View Post
                        i cant work backwards as my door is 49.5cm high. therefore i need to figure out how high my dome should be built.
                        Sorry, I did read that but forgot.
                        The oven internal height should then be 785mm. (thats a very high oven in my opinion)

785*.63= 495mm
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-25-2011, 11:41 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

thank you Al.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            Hi Cooked.
                            you would think so !?! the oven is still not complete and even after showing them tons of pictures ,they still cocked it up.

...anyway when its done i will modify it myself

Comment

Working...
                            X