Hello from Northern VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Northern VA

Greetings, all: After many months of lurking and dreaming after finding this forum, I have reached the point of starting a much anticipated oven build here in Vienna, VA. (OK, I have to finish the spring cleanup of the yard first, but I am hoping to start digging the foundation by the end of this month.) Got the Pompeii plans and have decided on a 42" ---stick to the plans and KISS. Compliance with building and zoning code of Fairfax County: check! Neighborhood homeowners association approval: check! Have researched local suppliers and both bricks and refractory mortar can be obtained within reasonable distance, but will probably be ordering some materials from Forno Bravo.

Many thanks to this forum and its members who have provided inspiration and enlightenment...I know that I will be turning to you all again as this thing progresses.

The adventure begins!
    Robert

Welcome Robert!

You have a good start, keep up the good attitude and the good research and planning. and you will get through with a minimum of do-overs and a maximum of enjoyment.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Hello from Northern VA

Thanks for the encouragement. I may be temporarily delayed by another week: Ramona (She who must be obeyed) has me involved in stripping wallpaper in a powder room in preparation of a do-over; and I have been reminded that I need to install an organizer system in my daughter's closet.
      Fortunately, I am now retired, so my days are free for attacking the Honey-do list.
      I am still hoping to stick a shovel in the ground (even if only ceremoniously) before the 31st!
      RJD

Comment

Hello, Robert.

I am a little south of you in Harrisonburg.

The plan is to begin digging the foundation tomorrow. I was hoping to do it yesterday but it rained all day. But it let me lay out some bricks for the oven floor and trace the template so it was not a total loss.

Where did you get your brick at?

Good luck with everything.

David
        "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

David:
          Know what you mean about the rain! I am sourcing brick and mortar at Potomac Valley Brick (Website product list at POTOMAC VALLEY BRICK Built On a Foundation of Service ) and probably the flue also, I'm thinking. Right now, I'm trying to find cinder block for less than $1.21 apiece.
          By the way, my in-laws are in Harrisonburg, just off Rt. 33 and Massanetta Springs Rd. If that's nearby, perhaps I can stop in (if you don't mind) to take a look the next time we're in that neighborhood---probably mid-April. We can exchange early-stage WFO war stories.
          Robert

Comment

Robert,

My dentist is right there at 33 and Massanetta Springs. You must go right past me on the way down here. I am only about 10min off 81 from the first Harrisonburg exit heading south. I live out in the country.

I was hoping to begin digging tomorrow but I just got called into work. It was supposed to be my day off. Guess I'll let it dry for a day or two before I begin.

Are you getting the med duty Mt Savage brick they show on their website? There is a guy on 66 that sells them for $1.38 including tax. I think that was the price he gave me.

Look on craigslist for the block. I found a bunch in Kemptown, MD at $75 for 100 of them. Look under Winchester and type in "block." Not worth it for me to drive up to get them being as they are directly north of DC. Too far. If they were in Winchester I would be going.

Let me know when you will be down. If I am not at work, I am there alot, maybe we can work something out.

Good luck sourcing materials.

David
            "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Finally started construction...and as such started a new thread under the Brick Oven Photos heading at Viennese Pizza (for what it may be worth. I don't think anyone is going to learn anything from what I do, though I plan to try to learn a lot from everyone else!)

Robert

Comment

Working...
              X