New build in Pa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build in Pa.

My wife and I have been considering a build for a couple of years now. Last summer I built a temporary oven out of old clay bricks. We came across a site online that showed you how to build it. After I got all the materials together it took me a couple of hours to put it together and we were eating pizza that night! We had a lot of fun with that last summer. That confirmed our desire to build a real oven.I'm planning to build a 42" Pompeii oven, corner build with a 6' long countertop for prep work.
    I have the footprint for the slab dug out and am considering installing 8" sonotubes in the corners and one at end of the counter at a depth of 42". I'm not sure if I really need them. With 6" of 3/4 crushed stone and then 6" of concrete on top of that the 8" footers may be a little overkill. Any suggestions or opinions?

Re: New build in Pa.

Steve, Yes the 8" sonotubes are over kill. But do use a rebar grid in your slab. 1/2" @
    12" O.C. would be great. Don't forget to drive your form stakes flush with your form lumber. Get them out of your way for screading concrete.
    John

Comment

Thanks Silvfox,
      Just concerned about heaving in the winter, but there will be a lot of weight on that slab. Where in Minnesota are you? I lived in Minneapolis in the late 70's, early 80's. I went to Bethel College and then to the U of M.

Comment

If your slab is poured on virgin soil (no back fill) any frost heave will be uniform and won't cause a tilt in a floor this small. If you're forming with 2 x 6 thats plenty thick enough for a good solid foundation that will be there long after you. I'm in SE MN. and graduated from St. Mary's U in Winona.

Comment

Working...
        X