Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Montreal

Hello

I've been wanting to build a brick oven for years, and finally am going to do it. Going to build it at my parent's house and then when I have enough land of my own, going to move it there.

I have three main questions. Definitely, the first of many, many to come

1) As far as insulation goes, if I use firebrick as the main "building blocks" of my dome, do I still have to use a cement/vermiculite ratio as the outer layer? Can the outer dome simply be the brick and the mortar? Is the cement/vermiculite mixture the smooth surface you see on many of the pictures?

2) Isn't the use of all the "-lites" potentially hazardous? I understand they're used as a layer for heat retention, but does it give off any hazardous fumes, seep into whatever is cooking?

3) For the structure, can steel be incorporated? I'm an ironworker/welder and definitely want to incorporate a steel structure into my oven.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie from Montreal

I can see a fantastic oven door in your future, given you have experience with iron work. Good luck with the build! Bert
    Fail to Prepare...Prepare to Fail!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoMatteo View Post
      Hello

I've been wanting to build a brick oven for years, and finally am going to do it. Going to build it at my parent's house and then when I have enough land of my own, going to move it there.
      !
      Won't happen as moving ovens that have been fired really doesn't work.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Won't happen as moving ovens that have been fired really doesn't work.
        Al,

Enjoy nature! Inform us on your moving in the Outback, not moving ovens.

Comment

Working...
        X