Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Nice. The compulsory 'legs hanging out of the oven' shot.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Kind of had to-seems to be a required picture in the build process LOL.

Comment

We took down the temporary plastic build room yesterday. We left the space heater going inside the dome and set the door slightly ajar so the cord could fit under. Next spring we'll finish the base and redo the other counter areas and walls to match.

After the oven has sat awhile we'll start the curing process and take it slowly. Looking forward to doing some cooking a weeks out.

Comment

We decided to start slow curing with a weed burning torch based on other builders' successes. We were totally sold on this process after starting out, as regulating the temperature was a snap. We had originally planned to let the oven sit a while longer, but given the temporary heated build room we thought we'd start a bit earlier than originally planned and be in good shape.

After four days of extended torching with increased heat level each day, we dove in carefully with a wood fire last night. Up to 500 with no visible cracking and a nice soot coat forming on the inside. The chimney draws like a champ (2 three foot sections). We're really having fun now and very relieved with the integrity of the oven brick.

One thing leads to another, and since we had a good consistent 500 degree oven, we roasted Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil, and the wife roasted marshmallows for our Lab Maxwell-his favorite food in life. Dinner was absolutely wonderful.

We're thinking trying some pizza soon. Ordered some Caputo 00, a digital scale, and some San Marzano tomatoes which should be here next week. Maybe we'll try some King Arthur flour for football playoff pizzas tomorrow if we can't wait until next weekend, and see about burning the dome white.

Comment

Lucky you! Once everything thaws out here... I hope to be doing the same.
            Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Putting up the plastic room and running a cheapo HD space heater along with a propane heater was the only was we could have finished before spring friend. We had even tarped off the build area pending spring when we decided to go for it-made a bunch of extra work but it's behind us now. We're sure glad we went through the extra hassles even if it added probably a couple of hundred dollars to the project in plastic, propane and electricity. We're sure enjoying the cooking!!

With the dome burning clear we made Roasted Fillet of Beef Stuffed with Prosciutto and Parmigianino for dinner and made Pecan Praline Trellis for breakfast. Today we're going to fool around with some pizza and hopefully watch the 49'ers and Colin win.

Best wishes for your build this spring DR, which is sure to be fantastic. I'm sure you'll really enjoy using the oven like we're doing here.

Comment

Made pizzas today while watching the wildcard games. Everything seemed to work well-going to order a few wooden peels for assembling pizzas and ease up on the cornmeal that we used to keep todays from sticking to the board.

Comment

Originally posted by CV_Oven View Post
                  Made pizzas today while watching the wildcard games.
                  How were you able to eat pizza while watching the 49r game? It was all I could do to just keep down the beer. That game was nerve wracking...

Great job on the build - I thought you would have called it quits during the winter.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les-we really wanted to get the oven done (minus the base stucco) and use it, so we drove on with heaters and plastic. I agree with you-the 49''s game was crazy, but we'll take it! I thought if they didn't make the FG and it went to O/T that Green Bay would have won it. Whew-a few more to go and hopefully pay dirt this year!!

Comment

Congrats on cooking those first pizzas.........Glad to see you enjoying some cooking. Great job on your build..........Carful now, those finishing may never come once if you enjoy cooking in her to much........I have to keep reminding myself to get back to work........The wife already informed me no Super bowl party till its complete.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build
                      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks-it's good to be cooking vice building for a change. Still a lot to do as we've decided we need more counter space next to the oven and a buffet area for guests. So we'll be off to HD sometime for metal studs and backer board, but probably not until it truly warms up again.

Comment

With the dome burning clear we made Roasted Fillet of Beef Stuffed with Prosciutto and Parmigianino
                          Hi,

I am in the planning stages of my oven, but I could not help but love the presentation of your fillet. Do you mind sharing the recipe and how you got it looking so good. Crazy questions...but I am new to all of it .

Thanks,

Sandro

Comment

Hi Sandro,

We used a recipe from the book "The Art of Wood Fired Cooking" which was a Christmas present. We use that book as well as many of the e-books and recipes you can find here at the Forno Bravo site.

We're really enjoying cooking and made a couple loaves of hearth bread this past weekend morning after a dinner of pork roast and beans the eve before. I would have built a WFO years before if I would have known then what fun they are and how excellent food cooks in them.

Comment

Closing in on the finish-only a few more weekends to go maybe and the base product should be complete. We tore off all the ceramic tile on the island, took down the pony wall extension, put up new WonderBoard, and have all the brick for the counter cut and ready to mortar and grout.

A weekend to mortar and grout, and a weekend to stucco the balance should bring closure on this round. Already thinking of extending a counter to the right of the oven with built in storage, and quite possibly adding back in the sink we demo'd out for the WFO build as running water and sewer are still close by to tie back onto.

Comment

Hi Sandro,

We used a recipe from the book "The Art of Wood Fired Cooking" which was a Christmas present. We use that book as well as many of the e-books and recipes you can find here at the Forno Bravo site.

We're really enjoying cooking and made a couple loaves of hearth bread this past weekend morning after a dinner of pork roast and beans the eve before. I would have built a WFO years before if I would have known then what fun they are and how excellent food cooks in them.
                                Thank you! I appreciate you sharing the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X