Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Looking For Advice

Hello,

I decided to join the forum after deciding to research starting a Brick Oven Pizzeria at my microbrewery in Texas. I am currently reading The Bread Builders but I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I learn.

A little about myself: My brother and I have been homebrewers for years, and are now getting the chance to start a production microbrewery. We are only a few weeks away from production, and are expecting some big crowds on the weekends during our tasting events and tours. We have a very nice outdoor sitting area for tasting, so I'm looking to add a WFO for artisan breads and pizzas as well as ambience for the whole facility.

Our investors are not interested in adding a restaurant to the facility, so I am looking to do this on my own. I will do some more reading in the commercial section, but any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated! I'll start a thread about my project once I get past the research stage and share my experiences with the community.

~ Brent

Re: Noob Looking For Advice

Brent:

We have a place nearby called "The Vault" (Vault Brewing). These guys converted an old bank into a microbrewery. They put in a commercial pizza oven (no kitchen) and serve food to complement and "wash down their beer". It is a really great combination... I think you are wise to complement your beer with some food....but not too much that it take attention away from your beer. It also allows you to pair your beer with the correct food. Good Luck!

Comment

Unless you plan on baking mostly bread, do not build the oven described in the book. You will get better service form a Pompeii or low dome Neapolitan, depending upon what type of pizza you plan on serving.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        Unless you plan on baking mostly bread, do not build the oven described in the book. You will get better service form a Pompeii or low dome Neapolitan, depending upon what type of pizza you plan on serving.
        Thanks for the info! I was thinking about doing a Pompeii style. Are they hard to make look nice?

Comment

Originally posted by BrewhousePizza View Post
          Thanks for the info! I was thinking about doing a Pompeii style. Are they hard to make look nice?
          The finished product look will vary but the two most common styles are the dome look and an enclosed look. You will have to decide on placement inside or outside but normally for commercial applications I've seen that the ovens are enclosed and when you enclose the oven the possibilities for for the way it looks are really endless. You can rock, brick, or stucco the outside in any pattern you prefer and with any material. You can make it as expensive or cheap as you want depending on the finish material you use. 1 option you have is to do it cheap to start and then later on finish with a more expensive look. I'm not to the point in mine yet where I'm finishing but when I get there I will build an enclosed structure and probably just stucco the outside to start and in the future when more funds are available I'll rock it up.
          Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

As stated, the oven (the engine) is totally independent of the finish of the oven. You can make it as simple or as detailed as you want.

The actual part that is used for cooking is beautiful inside no matter what type you build, but the exterior is 100% up to you.

Comment

All very great! advice! I really like this by Tscar
              The actual part that is used for cooking is beautiful inside no matter what type you build
              To me, WFO ovens are like women, they are all beautiful on the inside, but great curves outside are what turns heads ................. Whutt..................., If you were expecting calendergirlsdotcom, you will have to do that search yourself, this is a family oriented forum .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the exposed dome shape but that is a personal thing. It is also relatively easy finish that way. Many of the enclosed ovens that have been displayed here are works of art and testament to the considerable skill and patience of the builder.

Like most things in life, the innards do the work and the exterior is just cosmetic. Even ugly ovens can make great pizza.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Absolutely one of the enjoyable parts of oven building is being able to tailor the look to fit whatever design works best for the owner. The options are nearly endless.

Comment

Working...
                  X