Wisconsin Considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Considerations

I've been reading the FB forums off and on for a year now, and am planning on doing a WFO build next year. As I think and scheme my first consideration is the foundation requirements for a place like Wisconsin. This year the frost line got down to 5 feet. Does that mean I need to put a footing down that deep?

If anyone knows of ovens in North West Wisconsin I could come look at I'd love to make the trip!

Re: Wisconsin Considerations

There is at least one builder from Wisconsin on here that I know of, but I would say yes, you need to be down at least that deep w/your footing.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Check out a build from 'mrchipster'. If I remember correctly, he is from Minneapolis, which is probably just as cold as you. Excellent build and quite a thorough thread too.

jon
      jon

Comment

I will look that one up. I'm pretty much straight east of Minneapolis so whatever he found to work should work for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by manumit View Post
          I've been reading the FB forums off and on for a year now, and am planning on doing a WFO build next year. As I think and scheme my first consideration is the foundation requirements for a place like Wisconsin. This year the frost line got down to 5 feet. Does that mean I need to put a footing down that deep?

If anyone knows of ovens in North West Wisconsin I could come look at I'd love to make the trip!
          Typically the frost is driven down that deep due to lack of snow cover. if you place the 2 inch Styrofoam sheets "the pink ones I used" against your foundation you should be just fine, double up if your concerned. I live in Mn. and had no problem with frost. this will also give protection from the frost pushing from the sides. also line your inside of the foundation with foam also.

Comment

This subject comes up on here from time to time. Personally, I would only use the foam approach as an "after the fact" method, trying to prevent frost heave or perhaps reduce it. I would not, under any circumstances use that as a planned building method. There are quite a few knowledgeable and experienced builders on here from that area that I am fairly certain would agree. I highly, highly recommend doing it right and excavating down to below your frost level. Not a place to cut corners.
            My Build:

Comment

Good to hear another Wisconsinite is going to take up the mantle and start an oven. I too, am in northwestern Wisconsin and am hoping to get going this summer. I have been lurking and reading for several years now and intend to get a thread going here when I get a chance. I cannot claim to know the right answer to your question, but I can tell you how I did the foundation? We were in the process of a patio/landscape makeover several years ago and I had a small track-hoe on site. I took advantage of the situation and put in footings and a foundation and did get them down a good 60? or so. I feel comfortable that it will be stable this way, but I don?t know if is the only way. As you are probably aware, there is some slab on grade construction done around here, but it is typically only heated spaces, or garages. Good luck and I hope we can share success stories!!
              Carl

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                There is at least one builder from Wisconsin on here that I know of, but I would say yes, you need to be down at least that deep w/your footing.
                NC hope your build is going good for you, sorry I jumped your #$$$%%$#$ the last time we posted. check out some photos I posted, thats tougher than the build,lol

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                  NC hope your build is going good for you, sorry I jumped your #$$$%%$#$ the last time we posted. check out some photos I posted, thats tougher than the build,lol
                  No problem, just a misunderstanding. I see your photos didn't come through. Love to see them when you get it straightened out. As for my build, I've got my floor bricks down and am about to start on the oven walls. I need to get my arch form built yet.
                  My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                    We were in the process of a patio/landscape makeover several years ago and I had a small track-hoe on site. I took advantage of the situation and put in footings and a foundation and did get them down a good 60? or so.
                    A backhoe would make the foundation digging sound a lot easier! If you started this summer Felix, I'd love to come see it in progress.

The consensus seems to be yes. I do actually have to dig a deep hole and get some good footings.

Has anyone seen comparisons on heat retention between an oven that is (pardon my lack of correct terminology) the dome externally verses the squared off building style? Can an insulated dome keep enough heat to do bread the day after a fire?

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
                      No problem, just a misunderstanding. I see your photos didn't come through. Love to see them when you get it straightened out. As for my build, I've got my floor bricks down and am about to start on the oven walls. I need to get my arch form built yet.
                      NC, my photos are under the pompeii oven heading, then under campmaki

Comment

Originally posted by manumit View Post

Manumit, my build is taking place 20 miles south of Stevens Point

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
                          Manumit, my build is taking place 20 miles south of Stevens Point
                          I just took a look at your pictures. It looks fantastic!

Comment

Manumit, where are you located in Wisconsin?

Comment

Menomonie. About 20 minutes west of Eau Claire.

Comment

Working...
                              X