It's Time to Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Time to Start

I've been following this forum since July and have come to appreciate the great insight and information that is available from its founder and members. I live south of Dallas, TX on a lake with a lot that drops down and have already had a tractor in to level off a spot for my 'construction area'. The kids were home for Thanksgiving and I had planned on pouring the forum but a cold front came with several inches of rain so I couldn't use the drawfs (remember Henry Fonda in Golden Pond - what good are dwarfs if they won't do your work). Anyway, plans are to pour foundation Wed and we will see were we go from there.
    I've committed to how I'm doing the base but was wondering about the block stand. I was thinking that wood in the rear would never be reached by me (maybe critters) so I was wondering if an opening in front and back with a block wall in the center may be the way to go.
    I started out planning a stone smoker for brisket and hit links for the bread maker - barrel vaults. After several links I found this site (I can't be happier) and I buy into these design for the casual user.
    Things I don't want to do is rehash issues, but I probably, like many others are starting from scratch and will ask basic questions (like how do you attach a picture), so if there is link to another forum site that discusses that please pass it on.
    I would like to thank Dmun for the concrete tutorial, I now see that it all makes sense. But reading it makes it so much easier to start this process.
    Oh I added that smile to see if it works - what is with the post icons that I see below this block?
    I'll learn how to post pictures of Progress (hopefully soon, that's on progress not my computer skills) and bear with be on my questions.
    Dwight
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Re: It's Time to Start

Welcome!

Maybe I can be one of many here to help you on your WFO(w00d fired oven) journey.

To upload a photo, after you click on the post reply button, then click on the paper clip above...............................look straight up about here...(next to the smiley face)

Then click browse and then find the file on your computer. Then click upload... then post...
    and you should be good to go

Once again...... Welcome aboard. I am sure we all look forward to your pictures as you build.

BTW. I am just down the road in San Angelo, TX.

And Kemo is located in Austin.
    So you have lots of Texas friends here.

GO COWBOYS!

Dave
    Last edited by asudavew; 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
      I was thinking that wood in the rear would never be reached by me (maybe critters) so I was wondering if an opening in front and back with a block wall in the center may be the way to go.
      Dwight
      Dwight,

I think that's a great idea. If it works with your design, layout, etc, go for it!

Like a few other builders here, I'm going to build a cart on wheels that I can pull in and out of my block stand.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Your idea for the front and back openings in the stand should be fine. Basically an "H" shape, huh? The only downside I see is the cost of one extra angle iron.

Good luck. We'll be watching your progress.
        George
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well the weather has been very cooperative and today we poured our foundation. It was over 2 yards and we are feeling it! We rented a mixer but still had to move the sand/gravel mix a good distance. At the end I wasn't that concern how smooth the finish was since most will be covered. No work until the slab is done so hopefully by then I'll be able to post pictures. It will be like so many others I've seen here, but they will be mine.
          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

It will be like so many others I've seen here, but they will be mine.
            That's the best part!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

...It was over 2 yards and we are feeling it!
              Don't you love that part. :-)
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Welcome aboard! And congradulations on the start of you project. I wanted to say that I have two doors into my storage area. One in front and one on the side - no brick wall in the middle. It's all open under there.
                I look forward to watching your progress.

dusty

Comment

Trying to post a picture(s). If it comes across it's our back yard pre construciton.
                  RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I'm so pleased it works so easy , I would to like to thank Dave for his assistances. In additon to the first photo I'm added pictures on the progress before and after the pour. They do take a while to upload, are they to large?

Yes James, I just love IT, especially now that it is a week behind me!!
                    RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Stunning View.

I think you will have to host our bi-annual pizza throw down!

Dave
                      My thread:
                      My costs:
                      My pics:

Comment

Since I'm getting proficent in posting pictures I thought I would add on my mixer setup. I could have gotten 2 yards of ready mix for $250 but I would have had to hire someone with a bobcat loader to move it to my site. Including the cost of a 9 cf mixer for a day, the cost of the cement only was about $220. So I saved some money and I did get it done so moving that much sand and gravel is behind me.
                        RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I'm ready to start chapter 2 of the e-book and a couple of questions.
                          1. in the fourth row over the angle bar - I'm planning on filling the blocks there with concrete. Is that advisable and what have members done underneath to prevent concrete flowing through.
                          2. Has anyone reinforced this area with rebar given that they poured cement?
                          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

It is best to fill every other cell, all the way down to the bottom row of blocks, with concrete. Then people usually stuff the empty cells with leftover sacrete bags and fill the upper levels with more concrete. Then you are ready to build your hearth forms.

I hope this makes sense.

Dave
                            My thread:
                            My costs:
                            My pics:

Comment

Trying to post a picture(s). If it comes across it's our back yard pre construciton.
                              Nice spot!
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X