X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loren
    replied
    Re: New Bread Oven

I just picked up the book " American Pie", on the cover I saw the picture of the Sunnyside up egg pizza. The first time I heard of it was that place in Santa Rosa. So much to learn...

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

It is interesting and it will be a great learning experience, nice to have some options for the wood burning apparatus. Unfortunately I can not experiment with the oven as much as I would like because it is in the country and only gets occasional weekend visits. However, I can now work on my bread and pizza recipes, then try them on my stone in the oven. It should give me a good idea of what I would like to make.

Speaking of which, I found this article about a pizza maker in Santa Rosa. Sunnyside up egg on a pizza, WOW so many things to try?

Michael Bauer: Between Meals : Pizza Friday: Rosso

I also really enjoyed the "similar threads" at the bottom of this thread, so much great information here!

Loren

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Knowing that detail, then yes, it looks to be quite the set up. One you will enjoy for many uses. And like the others are saying, keep info and photos coming.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

It is very interesting!

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

It may only be a fireplace, or smoke generator for the main oven, or just a grill. Too early to tell yet. The top is obviously the bread oven. I don't think there will be any problems, only time will tell.

Loren

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Is the bottom to act as a fireplace only? How do you plan top and bottom for usage? That is what I am wondering. I would like to answer further once I understand the usage of each. When I say double barrel, your top and bottom oven had me thinking with reference to the double barrel of a shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

I am not sure what you are talking about when you say the double barrel approach. I never intended to use both at the same time. The lower part has no insulation, however it does have 2" of concrete cladding. Also it is hard to see but there is a block wall behind the back brick work. Have a look at the pics to see what I am talking about.

Do you still think there is a problem with no insulation?

You can also see the roof detail. I am not sure what you call that type of "key slot" but that is the only way I could figure out how to hold the arch together with a flue hole in the middle of it without using some type of steel support.

Loren

PS Thanks for the white oven info... Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

I am concerned about the lack of insulation to the lower area. Did you insulate it properly? How so? If you are doing a double barrel approach, I hope both areas were equally insulated. Can you elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Originally posted by Loren View Post
    PS What is a white oven?
    A "White" oven is a bake chamber which is heated by a fire below, and flue gasses traveling around it. In other words, the fire isn't in the oven. These are often part of a masonry heater assembly. Commercial ovens that need to be fired continuously are often set up as white ovens.

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

Hey Jim,

Nice to know you have the same style oven I do. I will probably have a lot of questions for you down the line. I just signed up for Peter Reinhart's class in March, should be interesting...

Loren

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

Ah, never a dumb question. To tell you the truth I am not sure what it will turn in to be. Here is how it started, I will try to shorten up a long story. I ordered a bunch of hearth bricks and found out how much they were when I picked them up, WOW!$! So I got cheap and bought some fire brick and saw how much of a difference there was in quality, I then decided not to skimp on the main oven. So I had a bunch of fire brick left over and came up with the? smoker, fireplace, BBQ, ash dump idea. Also since I have never done brick work before I could practice there first. I was even thinking of firing it up and see what temp I could get it so I could do a quick pizza in it, maybe with a pizza stone and coals underneath. It is tied into the ash dump and ties in to the flue quite nicely. I would like to use the main oven as a smoking chamber and do some nice fish and jerky.

Here is an early pic, it was a pain in the back to build it? I'll see if I can find a pic of the roof later. It is kind of cool how I interlocked the bricks to make the opening of the ash drop/flue.

Loren

PS What is a white oven?

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

I like it. Maybe just a fireplace? In any case it is really cool seeing both fires burning at once.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

This may qualify as a dumb question, but why the firebox underneath? Was this designed to work as a "white" oven?

Leave a comment:

• Loren
    replied

I am lucky to have found this site! There is so much information here I am completely lost, this is great. Here are some pics of the oven...

Thanks guys!

Loren

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Loren,

Sshh. Don't tell anyone, but there are a few AS oven types on this forum. I'm one of them: 4'x3' floor, high mass (the oven, not me). You might want to go to the main site, www.fornobravo.com , and download the bread baking, pizza making and general cooking e-books. You must register to get them, but they're free in pdf format.

Jim

Leave a comment:

Working...
X