X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: Mobile Oven for Pizzabistro

Check out my mobile oven in finished oven photos. It is small but it has to be so it can be moved. I made it as light as I could and it weighs 160 Kg I roll it off onto a stand using ceiling battens as rails. Works a treat. I feed around 20 people, 1 pizza at a time, in an hour, before it starts to get slow. ie about 12 pizzas. Then it needs a quick refire. It's a bit too small to have much flaming fire at the same time as cooking.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

We'll just call you Master Acoma....

I'd put the first course of bricks on top of the hearth. And that hearth is essentially the foundation of a modular oven so it needs to be sound.

This question comes up a lot and maybe we should work on a viable design. I have been thinking about how to do this myself. There are a number of commerical ventures that have a portable oven, why not one at home?

You'd need a trailer and/or separate stand....that allows it to be moved. Think about earthquake engineering....the oven unit "floats"

It's the weight of the oven and potential cracking that is the challenge in my mind.

What about finding a firebrick company that would make a series of cast blocks? pre-cracked?

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

PB, your side yard is 5ft. what is the depth?
    How long before you plan to sell?
    Portable? Is it to be a one time move?
    How much do you plan to use it and for what purposes?
    As for first course (solder bricks) above or around floor bricks, this also depends on what you want. Some of us want it around, like myself, some build on top. I would think that if you plan to move it, build it on top.
    Below the floor bricks it is becoming more regular to use insulating boards, whereas you can use vermiculite type material as an option as well.

I just wonder how long you will live at your current place, and how much you plan to use it because you can erect an inexpensive, temporary type oven to get you through for practice. Once you get to your new destination, plan out the area, and size of what makes you happy for an oven. You can see a variety of ovens here that fit the surroundings, and they compliment the usages of the builders.

Now that I have assisted with some of the questions you had, I hope that you will elaborate further on some of this.
    Robert (Richard, Frank, Sam, or whatever I am called now )

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    started a topic Mobile Oven for Pizzabistro

Mobile Oven for Pizzabistro

This is for a new member, Pizzabistro.
    I don't believe he had the chance to get this thread going, but he came to me to ask advice on an oven that could move with him, when he sells his home. I will present his quote below. Lets give some opportunity to help him out.

"Hi ,
    I am about ready to start building an oven in my patio and I would like to take it with me when I sell the house. My sideyard is only 5' wide, does anybody know or can suggest how I should build the base on wheels so that I could roll it to the front of the house or should I just forget about it? I do not want all this work to go to waste.
    My second question is if I should start the first course of bricks on top of the base or around it. Below the bricks should I use ref. cement or sand. Thanks very much. "
Working...
X