No announcement yet.

Brutal! Worth every effort!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at Ken's arch the top of his opening is almost 5 brick widths wide versa 3 brick wide for your build. Even though your the opening is wider underneath up top it is still a restriction point. Changing it is up to you. Just pointing out potential smoking issues.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-21-2018, 07:51 PM.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

providing you have some decent funnelling below the restriction you will be fine. It is the cross sectional area combined with the height of the flue which gives it the drawing power. A small restriction no greater than around 25% of the flue will simply act as a Venturi and smoke will actually accelerate at that point. It would help if you can knock off the sharp edges at both the entry and exit of the restrictionto create a smoother flow.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You have a couple options now with David's suggestion.
        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          providing you have some decent funnelling below the restriction you will be fine. It is the cross sectional area combined with the height of the flue which gives it the drawing power. A small restriction no greater than around 25% of the flue will simply act as a Venturi and smoke will actually accelerate at that point. It would help if you can knock off the sharp edges at both the entry and exit of the restrictionto create a smoother flow.
          https://www.comsol.com/blogs/explori...enturi-effect/
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I want to thank you guys for your advice. I will be working on my vent opening today. I will also place the heat lamp inside to start the curing process....slowly!

Comment

Hi All. I have a question. My husband does not want to work with metal studs. Wondering if I enclose the dome with 3 inches of blanket insulation plus one coat of Vermiculte:Portland, then stucco, would it then be safe to use wood studs? Trying to figure out finish. I want the house enclosure but getting resistance from the builder in our house! I do not have enough skill to build the framing so may need to have igloo look. Thank you in advance for your info.

Comment

Yes, wood framing can be safely used for an oven enclosure. Just use metal for the stud directly on each side of and for the studs directly above the entrance.
                Last edited by Gulf; 10-29-2018, 06:36 AM.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

You probably want to ask your inspector. I'm not sure on exactly what the code calls for, but in the last two fireplace remodels I've done the inspector insisted on steel studs all the way to the ceiling over the fireplace. I did my oven with all steel so the issue didn't come up. Its somewhat of a PITA to work with, but not that bad once you learn a few tricks (wear gloves!)
                  My build thread: https://tinyurl.com/y8bx7hbd

Comment

I cannot figure out how to post a new topic so I will ask here. What material should I use to attach my vent anchor plate to the chimney? I was going to order Utahs hi temp stuff but did not want to pay $50 a tube. Good substitute? Thank you all. I am really happy with how it's coming along! Thank you all for your advice!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	409438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	409436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	409437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	409435 My vent anchor setting. First Fire!!!!!! All neighbors came to celebrate!!! I must say (pardon the double entendre) a woman is only as good as her man's tools!!!!!! Thank goodness my husband saved me! The anchor plate screws would not go in! Ahhh!! Mortar set and in a panic I ran to get my husband. You guys really are amazing with tools!! Smoke going up vent but wish I had made bigger. We shall see once pipe is on. Insulating blanket 3-4 inches. Starting enclosure tomorrow! This is crazy! Haven't ridden my horse in a month! Ready to be done. Looking forward to cooking turkey in my oven for Thanksgiving! Working on door too. Wow!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

No problems with venting! Yay. Here is my progress so far!
                        Last edited by Karyn B; 07-12-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	414944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	414943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	414945 I am working on completing the decorative and last arch! Whew! Placing flagstone too! No cracks in the oven. Pizza and chicken are fantastic but can't wait to try caveman style steaks!

Comment

Looking very nice
                            Russell

Comment

Thank you Russell. And thank you for your most excellent advice!

Comment

Gorgeous hearth! I am just to the point of having to decide how to finish my oven, and you have given me some good inspiration. Love the choice of bricks for finishing too.

Dean

Comment

Working...
                                X