Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from North Yorkshire - 36" Pompeii build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from North Yorkshire - 36" Pompeii build.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all the bits of advice that helped me build my oven during the Summer of Restriction here in the UK. Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'd ever have got it done if it wasn't for being prevented from going away so much due to The Contagion. I attach below a link to the build photos which pretty much show every step of the way. The dwarf stone walls on which the oven plinth is built had been in slow construction for 5 years to get to the state of the 1st photo, so my wife was going gently berserk with me to get on with it !
    I used Vitcas construction materiels and was pretty impressed with them all. The outdoor oven cement was particularly strong and , after testing, allowed me to support a rather hefty chimney pot on what is, to my eye , a slightly flimsy arch. I allowed this to set very thoroughly before putting the pot on , but it was a big moment.
    You'll see that I used a damp sand former for the dome - which I appreciate is slightly unusual in this forum. It worked very well.
    I'm planning to clad the dome with slate, but it's quite a big job as it'll all have to be cut up, so I'm having a breather for now. Thank you to Lance ( Wickolad ) for advice about adhesives/grout for this.
    If you think there is anything about my build that can help you, please don't hesitate to ask.
    I'm now just looking forward to the return of Spring so that I can get out and fire it up a bit more frequently.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMMqLi8DLT7qiVfb8

Happy cooking,

Very nicely done!
    It always amazes me how much weight an arch will hold. You could probably stand on it and it would be fine.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

What sort of cement did you use between the bricks?

Comment

Thank you Mark,

just went to look at your build and realised that I'd already looked before . I liked your channeled back flue arrangement - very tidy - and heat efficient I guess.
        I envy you heading into summer !

Simon

Comment

Hello Fox,

It was Vitcas Outdoor Oven Cement to stick them together and Vitcas Heatproof Screed to fill larger gaps and to render.
          I don't know where you are, but they seem to be a French company that have a base in Bristol. Helpful website.
          As you'll see the cement sets pretty much black and is very hard. Because of my concerns about the arch, I stuck a couple of bits of brick together and let them set properly. The result was tremendously strong. I think it's really important to have the bricks wet 1st to get good adhesion.

Good luck,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Podasols View Post
            Thank you Mark,

just went to look at your build and realised that I'd already looked before . I liked your channeled back flue arrangement - very tidy - and heat efficient I guess.
            I envy you heading into summer !

Simon
            Hi Simon
            Thank you. Yes, the flue over the dome arrangement is very heat efficient, I think. We made pizzas Saturday evening, had lamb shanks last night (Sunday) and this morning, with an ambient temperature of 12degC the oven floor is still at 108C and the dome at 130C.
            Regards,
            Mark
            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

good work...i'm just in the planning stages myself, having decided that the time is finally right. i'm in horsforth myself so not too far away from you i expect. I may well be in touch for some local insight! out of interest, how much of the various vitcas products did you end up using? i'm planning a 42" and ideally want to just order once but also trying to keep to a sensible budget where possible so don't want to end up with lots of surplus materials. cheers

Comment

Working...
              X