48” Naples style oven in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48” Naples style oven in Edmonton

Hi! I’m currently building a new restaurant in Edmonton (which I will also own and operate) I’m building a 48” gas fired brick oven. The oven is built on a steel frame so that it can be moved into place with a pallet jack once mechanical ventilation above has been installed. Oven construction is 3.5” concrete hearth, 2” ceramic fibre board, and 2.5” cooking floor.

Andrew

Nice start!!
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Thanks! I’ve been reading forum posts and the ebook incessantly the last few weeks so I’m excited to get started.

Comment

The stand was my first welding project as well.
        Last edited by beefborley; 07-09-2021, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beefborley View Post
          The stand was my first welding project as well.
          If that's the case get an experienced welder to check your welds before loading up the stand. I notice your diagonal bracing is only on two sides. It would be advisable to weld some diagonals on the other sides as well.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

If that's the case get an experienced welder to check your welds before loading up the stand. I notice your diagonal bracing is only on two sides. It would be advisable to weld some diagonals on the other sides as well.
            Good suggestion. I had a welder look at it and give me some advice to get started so I feel reasonably confident. I have another welder doing some other work on the project that could also examine it. The concrete slab is already loaded on the stand but it certainly can’t hurt to have another set of experienced eyes take a look at it.

Comment

Impressive work! Well done!
              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Looks like firebricks as cooking floor. What style of pizza do you plan to serve?

Comment

Originally posted by Petter View Post
                  Looks like firebricks as cooking floor. What style of pizza do you plan to serve?
                  Yes, I used the same firebrick for the floor of the oven, laid on its wide side so the floor is 2.5”.

I would call the style of pizza Neo-Neapolitan I guess. The dough is naturally leavened and then cold fermented for 3 days. I’m using organic Canadian flour: a mixture of 00 and AP at 65% hydration. I’m also using 2% oil to add a touch more crunch to the exterior than traditional Neapolitan. This is my current recipe anyways, but I’m sure it will continue to evolve. Im using an Ooni oven to test.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks nice! Ok, all good then. I was only worried if you were aming for 50-70 s bakes due to the Neaples style oven. If so, biscotto would be recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Petter View Post
                      Looks nice! Ok, all good then. I was only worried if you were aming for 50-70 s bakes due to the Neaples style oven. If so, biscotto would be recommended.
                      Typical firebrick is more or less conductive in comparison to biscotto?

Comment

Biscotto is by far less conductive than firebricks. Pick your style of pizza first, it will guide you to the most suitable floor.

Comment

I’ve been really struggling to find a proper mortar to use. The masonry supply store originally sold me a refractory mortar called Sairset 3000 but after trying it and reading it’s data sheet I realized it’s not recommended for joints over 1/16”. The masonry store (Brockwhite in Edmonton) didn’t have any other products they could recommend and pointed me to an industrial refractory supplier INPROHEAT which happened to be the same supplier where I purchased the ceramic insulation board. They recommended a mortar called Uniram B2 plaster ceiling which could fill thicker joints and was more workable. I thought I was off to the races and assembled the arch and the soldier course of bricks. However, the mortar was still tacky after two days. I called the supplier to ask how long curing time should be and he says it needs heat to cure and recommended I burn it with a tiger torch. I’m sure this is not a road I want to go down.

Does anyone have experience with these heat set mortars? Will they ever properly cure at pizza oven temps? I won’t be using this product for any more of the work but I’m wondering if the soldier course will be okay or if I should remove everything I’ve done and start from square one. I have found a few bags of Heatstop 50 that I can order (for an outrageous price of $150 per bag). The posts I’ve read here seem to agree that this is a good product.

I’d also happily make my own mortar but cannot for the life of me source fire clay. I will be trying some local pottery suppliers to see what they have for stock. However, this will be a commercial oven and I’ve read that the home brew recipe may not be suitable for continuous use?
                          Last edited by beefborley; 07-17-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I bought my fire clay at in Calgary. I called in Medicine Hat and they were able to tell me who in Calgary carried their products. According to their website they guys should have it as well.
                            Email:
                            Phone: 780-440-4791 FAX: 780-490-7590
                            9517 - 41 Ave NW, EDMONTON, AB T6E 5X7Cheers,

John
                            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-17-2021, 09:41 AM. Reason: removed commercial hyperlinks

Comment

Originally posted by Vee View Post
                              I bought my fire clay at in Calgary. I called in Medicine Hat and they were able to tell me who in Calgary carried their products. According to their website they guys should have it as well.
                              Email:
                              Phone: 780-440-4791 FAX: 780-490-7590
                              9517 - 41 Ave NW, EDMONTON, AB T6E 5X7Cheers,

John
                              Thanks! I actually emailed Larry earlier this evening. Hopefully they will have what I need.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 07-17-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X