New Build In Humboldt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build In Humboldt

Planning my first pizza oven build. I’ve been making pizzas in my BBQ for years with a Pizza Que Stone. Ready to step up my pizza game. Going to force the kids to help build it.
    Planing a fairly ambitious build. Massive Steel I beam stand with Slab on top. 42” Pompeii oven. Mosaic tile on dome. Copper chimney details. Can’t wait to get building!
    I’m sourcing my materials right now. Looking for some used I beams for my base.
    Really stoked I found this forum. I’ve spent a few weeks reading everything I could. Definitely some inspiring builds here.

First download the free eplans from Forno Bravo webstore. It is a good baseline for design and construction of pompeii ovens. It is a little dated but a good reference. Second, go to the newbie section and there is a "stickie" called Treasure Archives which has some of the more documented builds and finally, use the forum to bounce ideas off us. Sometimes, builders wait until they are under construction and something is not going right, by then it is harder to help or give advice.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the tips! I’ve read the write up from Forno Bravo a few times already. I’ve been reading as many build threads as I can find. Some great ideas here!

Comment

Your base sounds interesting! Most folks that do not do a masonry base are working with some space constraints or want to be able to move the oven if they change locations. Are you aesthetics, or something else? Either way it will be interesting to see how it comes out.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I plan on building the slab and base so they can be unbolted and taken apart in desired to move. This will get moved at some point, with a forklift. I’m going to build my slabs like a steel building. Wrap angle iron around perimeter, lay in corrugated steel as decking. Reinforce, and pour. There will be a thin lower slab for fire wood, then the thicker upper slab for the oven.
          Planning on 4” Calcium board for base wrap edges with steel. I will bolt steel to concrete for positive connection.

Comment

Sounds cool - please take plenty of pictures!
            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by JamieB View Post
              Planning my first pizza oven build. I’ve been making pizzas in my BBQ for years with a Pizza Que Stone. Ready to step up my pizza game. Going to force the kids to help build it.
              Planing a fairly ambitious build. Massive Steel I beam stand with Slab on top. 42” Pompeii oven. Mosaic tile on dome. Copper chimney details. Can’t wait to get building!
              I’m sourcing my materials right now. Looking for some used I beams for my base.
              Really stoked I found this forum. I’ve spent a few weeks reading everything I could. Definitely some inspiring builds here.
              Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your build!
              My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
              My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Picked up some steel today to build my table which my oven will sit. Some 10” wide flange beams for the posts. Scored some Stainless to make a peel too

Comment

Wow! What's the flange thickness on those beams? Do you have access to a fab shop to drill, cut, etc?
                  My build thread

Comment

Think they are 1/2” flange. I haven’t measured them yet. These for pieces were over 1000#. My 11 year old daughter and I slid them off of my trailer and let em drop. I have a plasma cutter and welders at my shop to fabricate the stand. I’ll get it assembled at my shop then deliver it home with a forklift ( stand we be 800# probably)

Comment

We got all of the I beams cut today! Not a easy task! We decided to use the new Millwakee 8” steel cutting saw. It’s nothing short of amazing!
                      Our legs are W1032 beams or 10” tall wide flange, 32# per foot. So our 38” legs are about 100#. The rest of our steel arrives Tuesday. So we should be about to get burning steel by next weekend.

Comment

For a 42' internal diameter oven you'll need a 4' reinforced concrete slab for the oven. Be sure to make the slab that sits on the stand wide enough to accomodate the thickness of the bricks, insulation layers and outer render, if building an igloo style. If building a dog kennel style make sure the sides sit outside the supporting slab. The stand can be a little smaller so the slab cantilevers over it.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

My slab up top will be 81” wide x 89-1/2” long. Overall my oven will be 74” diameter. I’m going to form a large 3” bead into my concrete ring with will wrap around the oven.

Comment

Working...
                          X