Rocket powered oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket powered oven

Good day everyone. I got the name of this community from a YouTuber. Thought I’d check it out.

I have a little different idea. I want to make a 20 inch steel pipe into a pizza oven with a rocket stove as the heat source.

if anyone has any input, links or photos to share that would be great. I’ve only just begun, and I haven’t been taking many pictures yet. But here’s the first photo of the oven and a copy of the rocket stove.

Keep us posted, something different. One of the main issues you will have with such thick steel will be loss of heat and also lack of heat storage since carbon steel does not store heat well. But for pizzas and a rocket powered heat source it may work fine, proof will be in the pudding. Some type of insulation will help. So keep post pics and info.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I am planning on cannibalizing a couple of electrical range ovens for the insulation for the oven and the rocket.

Comment

Hi, I have been.building rocket stoves for many years, I dont think your design will work very well as a pizza oven power source as there is simply nor enough BTUs from such a basic metal rocket stove like you have pictured!

There are so many other issues too… the square steel small diameter stove like you have pictured may be ok for placing a kettle or cast iron plate on to of but it wont produce a very clean burn and as you will have to run the stove while cooking your pizza, it will most likely taint the flavor with unburnt gasses and smoke!

In order to get a truly clean burn you need to insulate the heat riser and as soon as you do that the metal will deteriorate very quickly, that is why we dont use any metal in the flame path.

There are two main english speaking rocket stove forums out there where you can lean all about how to construct super efficient, clean burning rocket stoves without the use of metal in the flame path.
        I have quite a few video on my youtube channel about building rocket stove hot plate designs, for this purpose rockets stoves are fantastic,
        If you are determined to build a ‘black oven’ for pizza cooking, then there are a few designs on the Permies forum but they are in no way the same as a high mass pizza oven as we build on this forum.
        https://permies.com/f/260/rocket-mass-heaters
        Please ask away any questions……

Comment

As Fox said, he has built both rock ovens as well as pizza ovens so he is more our rocket oven forum expert. But that said, I will be interested in how your project works out.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There are many designs possibilities this is my latest vortex design, the afterburner runs at around 750c but I can get it to go over 900c with very dry fuel!
            https://youtu.be/0GbkJvknWAI

Comment

That’s fantastic
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I’m going to start an thread designated to this. This will be the last update in this thread. But here is a photo.

Comment

Well, the new thread is getting no attention. So I’ll just update here.

I got it up over 450 .

I just used twigs and sticks from a poplar tree. I only fired it for about 20 minutes. I’m pretty sure with a little insulation and some nice dry hardwood, I should be able to get up over 600 degrees. I know that’s nothing compared to what you guys get with brick, but I’ll consider that a win.

the only negative so far, is the ash. But I think that’s from not using good wood.

Comment

You can try to fit in a pizza stone as this will help to cook the pizza base on its porous surface, then throw some rockwool over the barrel, those temperatures will go up and I am sure you will have some fun.

Should you want to take it a step further by building a rocket engine to spec, you can expect 7-800f in the barrel.

A basic 6” J tube rocket stove made from refractory materials and well insulated will give you 1500f inside the unit and 1000f at the top of the riser…. Hot enough to destroy metal!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampSlinger View Post
                      Well, the new thread is getting no attention. So I’ll just update here.

I got it up over 450 .

I just used twigs and sticks from a poplar tree. I only fired it for about 20 minutes. I’m pretty sure with a little insulation and some nice dry hardwood, I should be able to get up over 600 degrees. I know that’s nothing compared to what you guys get with brick, but I’ll consider that a win.

the only negative so far, is the ash. But I think that’s from not using good wood.
                      Wow! That's pretty impressive. Great work!
                      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by fox View Post
                        You can try to fit in a pizza stone as this will help to cook the pizza base on its porous surface, then throw some rockwool over the barrel, those temperatures will go up and I am sure you will have some fun.

Should you want to take it a step further by building a rocket engine to spec, you can expect 7-800f in the barrel.

A basic 6” J tube rocket stove made from refractory materials and well insulated will give you 1500f inside the unit and 1000f at the top of the riser…. Hot enough to destroy metal!

I have a 16x14 stone for it. And I scavenged insulation from a few range ovens. I’m planning on insulating the drum as well as the riser. The rocket is 5 inch square.

Comment

Working...
                        X