Comment

Re: I embark upon the jouney and the journey is the destinationi

I am having trouble with the pic
      Oven is cladded
      purelited
      fronted
      Doored
      just need to do final earth cover

Sleep oh sleep my friend the project has squeezed you like an orange...all's well
      sigpic

Comment

Lol, I feel your exhaustion. I can't wait to see the pictures--especially with the earth cover! That's going to be so unique.
        Nikki

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

well here are the photos I've been promising
              I still have to berm the berm the earth cover the sheet metal...16 cf perlite

I have started the curing process. The draft is excellent and the oblong shape reflects the heat like I wanted....IT WORKS!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Re: I embark upon the journey and the journey is the destination

pictures finally almost done
                sigpic

Comment

The barrel form has ignited and slow buns at 350 degrees. I'm trying to keep the heat down while curing..its going to burn all night ....one smokin son of a gun.
                  sigpic

Comment

How exciting! Neat door--where did you find it, and how high does the temperature gauge go?
                    Nikki

Comment

the door:

The door is off of a boiler and goes to 600 degrees. I commute on a ferry boat every day. I mentioned what I was doing to a fellow passenger. He indicated that he had this door out in the barn for years and that he had no need for it. It was a gift. BUT... a good place to look for doors is on eBay under wood stoves. Man, there are some great doors there and reasonable. This door is a little narrow, only 12 inches but I like it so I'm going to live with it. As you can see by now I will never ever be a cement mason. very sad work but I'll live with that to...can't fire the mason and the cook too.

Last night my seasoning burn went to 500 degrees. It was only supposed to go to 400. The barrel, still trapped inside, was on fire. I closed the door and the temp dropped to 425. It was still 350 this AM and still smoking and burning.
                      sigpic

Comment

THIS IS WHAT I LEARNED ON MY PROJECT. YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT. MINE IS A LITTLE UNIQUE

This is what I did right and wrong

First. I fired to about 900 degrees last night and we cooked our first pizza. I have to do a little trim and I'm going to add another 2ft of chimney and I will cover the last of the oven today

It will take longer than you think. This was a lark for me. I have the time money and space. It seemed Like a fun idea. So I read the Forno bravo sight, Listened to the experts here and watched some utube video. I started about 6-7 weeks ago with the idea and working only weekends burned the first pizza last night

It will cost more than you think. I scrounged around. In my mind a lark should not be to costly. The project cost me 4-500 usd. plus a mixer at 150 usd. I used free and salvaged material

The mortar I mixed ed appears to have worked perfectly. 10 sand, 6 fire clay, 2 portland and 2 lime.

I tried to remove my barrel form to early and the whole works collapsed. this meant much cleaning of brick. It was a discouraging set back. If I had waited a few hours or a day this would not have happened

The experiment of tapering the barrel shaped oven has worked perfectly. I thought it would but there was no certainty. The fire vortex and reflective nature of the oven is perfect. The heat stays a long long time. The oven heats quickly and does not consume to much wood. This was a little nerve racking as I did not know that I would be reporting success here. I would do this design again. It is the right shape and size for me. I had done little to no brick work.

I had to taper the brick to close the ends in, This was pretty easy as the barrel stays were easy to follow. I only had to taper about 6 bricks.

Buy your oven cooking tools before you need them. (see FB on this) It was a little frustrating to get rid of the ash before the first cooking. Ash in the pizza makes good dog food

Well that was my build. Thankyou all for the imput and kindred spirits

Oh yea, Also I would have put the dig farther into the cliff and lower down for a more burried effect.
                        Last edited by berryst; 07-26-2008, 12:40 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Congratulations!!!

You are now an official pizza burner!!!

Now comes the fun part - finishing it all up so it looks like the oven in your imagination.

Christo
                          My oven progress -
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                          sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Well, this is ending now. The landscape needs to be put in. I still have to clean (acid wash) the brick but I'm considering painting in the whole thing instead. After all there are a lot of different materials here. Did you note the marble. This thing looks strangely out of the 1950's to me. The oven holds the heat for days. The streaking on the door needs to be washed off. This appeared during the curring process...moisture I guess.
                              I had to put in retaining walls because the sand was prone to travel.

All in all you can't see this much from the house. We will build a covered space for campfires and rain. At least I can say I worked with wood before.
                              I don't care for the strip of horizontal marble...looks pretty amateurish and will be redone in custom tiles.

That's about it ...Thank you all.
                              sigpic

Comment

It's always hard to work with mixed materials, but you've done a good job. I think the retaining walls will do the trick to hold the sand in, and I like the landscaping so far!

I like the idea of the tiles up the front of the chimney a lot.

Great work!
                                Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                                X