Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello From Ontario

I live in Sudbury.
    I will definitely have a look at the document posted by dmun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmun View Post
      If I may be so bold, I'd suggest the Canadian method of shallow frost protected foundations, If you want more that the slab-on-crushed-rock method.
      [/url]
      David - this is an incredible find. It would have saved a lot of people a butt load of work. Makes a lot of sense on how it would work.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I, for one, think the frost issue is over rated. A monolithic 5 inch slab slab sitting on well compacted or solid native ground is more than adequate. Unless you have extremely unusual soil conditions, settlement is more of a concern than frost heaving.

Has anyone ever heard of any stand alone "slab only" oven being affected by frost heaving ?.
        Last edited by Neil2; 10-23-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard of any stand alone "slab only" oven being affected by frost heaving ?.
          I've seen a butt-load of masonry barbeques cracked and tipped. The masonry barbeque
          phase was what, in the 1950's? Now it may be that these weren't built on proper footings at all, they just laid rocks down and started mortaring them together, but they are, a lot of them, distressed 60 years down the road.

I think a layer of crushed rock under your slab, and proper slab reinforcement, are cheap insurance against masonry failure. More than that, unless you're dealing with code and inspectors, is overkill in my opinion.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"More than that, unless you're dealing with code and inspectors, is overkill in my opinion."

I agree. In addition, I think that most building codes and local inspectors won't care too much about foundations for a stand alone oven. Their issues will be mostly related to fire safety.

Comment

I thought about using a floating slab. For a long time. We sit on very fine clay with a high water table. When it got down to it, I didn't want to risk frost heave. I've seen what it does to concrete patios, although they are probably not built on the layer of crushed rock. Was digging and pouring the footings and foundation a lot of work? Of course it was. But I'm still glad I did it. I don't want to be the one everyone points to and says that floating slab thing wasn't such a great idea afterall.

Joe
              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Their issues will be mostly related to fire safety
                far from true neil... not trying to be a buster, But.. Here if you file a pemit, first you submit your plans, then if approved you can dig, starting with the foundation, the inspector comes out and measures your holes/footings before you pour any concrete.. if that passes you can pour, then block and wait for another inspection to check your forms before you pour again... I do agree much of it is overkill on the code part, but somewhere and engineer figured out with a calculator and a sliderule thats what we need to be structurally safe and sound... please dont take this the wrong way, but unless you've dealt with building inspectors they can be a giant pain, though well intended.....
                cheers
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                  unless you've dealt with building inspectors they can be a giant pain, though well intended.....
                  Amen! When I built my shop, I spent more time scheduling / waiting for inspectors then I did to build it. The greatest one was for the nail pattern on my roof - she didn't even climb the ladder to look at it.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

No problem Mark.

For a building yes, the footing/foundations inspections can be rigorous. As they should be.

But not for a stand alone wood fired oven. I explained what I was planning to my local building department and they just said I didn't need a permit and to have fun.
                    Last edited by Neil2; 10-24-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Lots of clay in my back yard and my floating deck heaves like crazy in the spring. THings I must consider for sure when planning this project. Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Pat,

I had to deal with exactly the same problems during my build. I'm located near Port Perry, north of Oshawa, on the Oak Ridge Moraine. One foot of topsoil, seven miles of yellow clay, with a spring running betwixt the two. Went for Sono tubes, lots of them, plus an eight inch, reinforced slab. It's been down almost ten years; hasn't moved a jot. Have a look at my website, www.marygbread, for some pics of the oven. Send me an email to discuss if you wish.

CJ
                        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Neil
                          I explained what I was planning to my local building department and they just said I didn't need a permit and to have fun.
                          I wish it was that easy here,,, If it was I may have filed for a few more permits.. (snicker)
                          Cheers
                          Mark

Comment

Jim,
                            I live in Aurora. We are on the oakridges Moraine also.
                            When they built my house in 1987, the builder never put a slip barrier between. The back filled soil and garage walls. The houses facing north do not recieve any sun on their garage, allowing the frost to get quite deep. The frozen soil binds on both sides of the wall and lifts it off the footings. I repaired a neighbours garage and their was a 6" gap between the footing and wall. Their is way too much work involved in building an oven and see it go to waste after a few years to take a shortcut. What is an extra weekend of work so you can enjoy many years of enjoyment from your oven.

Antonio
                            Last edited by Antonio D.; 10-27-2009, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X