Hello all from Ontario, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all from Ontario, Canada

For years I have thought about adding a wood burning oven in my garden. When I came across this site a few days ago, the whole community has inspired me to bring my dream to reality. The community is so informative and brings a wealth of knowledge in assisting other community members.
    Happy to be a member.

Rocco

Re: Hello all from Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the club Rocco. I think you'll find everything you need to get you through your build right here on FB. From experience I can tell you that I had little experience with concrete, no experience with block or brick and with the information and advice here...managed to get it done. Be sure to take lots of pictures as you go through the process and search the forums anytime you have a question...you can bet you'll find the answers here!
    Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Hi Rocco!

We have several members from Canada and the Ontario area, too.

Don't forget to down load the Pompei oven PDF in the Forno Bravo store area, there is a wealth of free information there!

Go ahead and get your digital camera and start mixing concrete!

Christo
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Breven View Post
        Welcome to the club Rocco. I think you'll find everything you need to get you through your build right here on FB. From experience I can tell you that I had little experience with concrete, no experience with block or brick and with the information and advice here...managed to get it done. Be sure to take lots of pictures as you go through the process and search the forums anytime you have a question...you can bet you'll find the answers here!
        Hi Breven,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do enjoy working on construction projects and have experience in concrete forming, pouring and finishing. But this project will be my first solo attempt in masonry. I will be relying on the forum's expertise on questions. Right now I am trying to finalize the oven location and position in my garden.

Rocco

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
          Hi Rocco!

We have several members from Canada and the Ontario area, too.

Don't forget to down load the Pompei oven PDF in the Forno Bravo store area, there is a wealth of free information there!

Go ahead and get your digital camera and start mixing concrete!

Christo
          Hello Christo,

Glad to be part of this community.

I downloaded the plans the other day and the camera is ready!

Went out today to visit my local building supplier to see what items were in stock as per the plan. Retrieved a partial material price list on some of the items that I need for the oven. I am deciding the oven size before committing to a complete material list.

Got to get digging soon!

Rocco

Comment

Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred

Comment

A warm welcome Rocco. Glad to see another builder from Ontario. There quite a few of us kicking around.

Good luck, John
              "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Hi rocco,
                I was wondering about the building codes (frostline and slab thickness in your part of Canada) .
                Thanks!

Comment

Uh...building codes? We're supposed to be getting permits for these things?

I live by the better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission motto...
                  Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

Comment

I dunno about your area, but our building inspector, when asked, said it sounded like an outdoor bbq and didn't need a permit. Even when my husband presented him with the plans he didn't seem to care- not even about chimney height and proximity to the house. (of course, we know him and he trusts us not to want to burn our own house down...)
                    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. But hey...I like living on the edge. Besides, I already have my excuse ready..."What? This thing has been here for years, it was here when I bought the house."

Comment

Elizabeth, that was my experience exactly! "Outdoor BBQs don't need a permit." I tried to insist, but they pretty much ignored me!

Welcome aboard, Rocco!
                        Picasa web album
                        Oven-building thread

Comment

[QUOTE=Breven;39975]Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. QUOTE]

You can always tell them it is a temporary structure. After all, who is insane enough to build a permanent oven ?

In Washington you can build an "out building" provided it is under 770 Sq ft. My out building will just happen to have a "large BBQ" in it.

It's not what you build....it's what you call it.

I got tagged by a local inspector for installing a "2nd" driveway. I put it in with a "path maker". So it consists of individual concrete stones. When he told me that there was a problem I told him that it was not a driveway.. it was a wide path. When he insisted it was a driveway because my travel trailer was parked on it I made him define driveway. Just because I choose to park my trailer on my pathway it doesn't mean my path becomes a driveway. Some people park their cars on the lawn. Does that make your lawn a driveway ?

If all else fails, keep pictures of your build as documentation. That way you can show you are within code rather than having to tear it down.
                          Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I had to rethink my outdoor kitchen design based on setback regulations, but I didn't need a permit for my oven, either. It took about an hour of going back and forth on the phone with the permit office, but eventually, they unanimously decided that my oven qualified as an outdoor BBQ and didn't need a permit as well.

Check with your local authorities, of course, but that seems to be the common experience.
                            Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by iritalianish View Post
                              Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred
                              Hi Fred,

The scenery is beautiful! I toured that same area on houseboat and spent time in Alexandria Bay NY. Welcome, and happy building.

Rocco

Comment

Working...
                              X