• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Re: Hello all from Ontario, Canada

Rocco,

I'm to the northeast of Toronto. Didn't need a permit for under a hundred sq. ft. The local authorities scratched their heads a bit but classified it as a large, if eccentric BBQ. The fire chief had a look while it was being fired, then walked away for good.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Rocco95
    replied

I plan on calling it a BBQ as well, to appease local building inspectors.

Rocco

Leave a comment:

• Antonio D.
    replied

Mine was considered a BBQ as long as set backs where followed and is under 100 sq. ft.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• Rocco95
    replied

A few years ago I built a cabana in the garden on 5" of compacted clear gravel followed by 5" of re-inforced concrete. To date, have not seen any frost heave or cracks.

On this build I am considering of adding 2" of rigid insulation to act as thermal break on top of the drainage base followed by re-inforced concrete.

In my local municipality I can build an outdoor structure 120 sq. feet or less without a permit. Setback regulations must be followed.

Rocco

Leave a comment:

• Rocco95
    replied

Originally posted by iritalianish View Post
    Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred
    Hi Fred,

The scenery is beautiful! I toured that same area on houseboat and spent time in Alexandria Bay NY. Welcome, and happy building.

Rocco

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I had to rethink my outdoor kitchen design based on setback regulations, but I didn't need a permit for my oven, either. It took about an hour of going back and forth on the phone with the permit office, but eventually, they unanimously decided that my oven qualified as an outdoor BBQ and didn't need a permit as well.

Check with your local authorities, of course, but that seems to be the common experience.

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

[QUOTE=Breven;39975]Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. QUOTE]

You can always tell them it is a temporary structure. After all, who is insane enough to build a permanent oven ?

In Washington you can build an "out building" provided it is under 770 Sq ft. My out building will just happen to have a "large BBQ" in it.

It's not what you build....it's what you call it.

I got tagged by a local inspector for installing a "2nd" driveway. I put it in with a "path maker". So it consists of individual concrete stones. When he told me that there was a problem I told him that it was not a driveway.. it was a wide path. When he insisted it was a driveway because my travel trailer was parked on it I made him define driveway. Just because I choose to park my trailer on my pathway it doesn't mean my path becomes a driveway. Some people park their cars on the lawn. Does that make your lawn a driveway ?

If all else fails, keep pictures of your build as documentation. That way you can show you are within code rather than having to tear it down.

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

Elizabeth, that was my experience exactly! "Outdoor BBQs don't need a permit." I tried to insist, but they pretty much ignored me!

Welcome aboard, Rocco!

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

Here in CA, any permanent structure is supposed to have a permit. But hey...I like living on the edge. Besides, I already have my excuse ready..."What? This thing has been here for years, it was here when I bought the house."

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I dunno about your area, but our building inspector, when asked, said it sounded like an outdoor bbq and didn't need a permit. Even when my husband presented him with the plans he didn't seem to care- not even about chimney height and proximity to the house. (of course, we know him and he trusts us not to want to burn our own house down...)

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

Uh...building codes? We're supposed to be getting permits for these things?

I live by the better to ask for forgiveness instead of permission motto...

Leave a comment:

• masuzzu
    replied

Hi rocco,
    I was wondering about the building codes (frostline and slab thickness in your part of Canada) .
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Versachi
    replied

A warm welcome Rocco. Glad to see another builder from Ontario. There quite a few of us kicking around.

Good luck, John

Leave a comment:

• iritalianish
    replied

Hi Rocco,

Hey! I was just up in Clayton, NY right across the St. Lawrence Seaway this week! We took a boat tour and got to see the Canadian side of the area. Truly magnificent! The whirlpools area is awesome! Welcome. I'm brand new here as well. Isn't it awesome to be bitten by the oven bug? I can't wait to build mine either!

Cheers,

Fred

Leave a comment:

• Rocco95
    replied

Originally posted by christo View Post
    Hi Rocco!

We have several members from Canada and the Ontario area, too.

Don't forget to down load the Pompei oven PDF in the Forno Bravo store area, there is a wealth of free information there!

Go ahead and get your digital camera and start mixing concrete!

Christo
    Hello Christo,

Glad to be part of this community.

I downloaded the plans the other day and the camera is ready!

Went out today to visit my local building supplier to see what items were in stock as per the plan. Retrieved a partial material price list on some of the items that I need for the oven. I am deciding the oven size before committing to a complete material list.

Got to get digging soon!

Rocco

Leave a comment:

Working...
X