getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting started

Well, I'm over the retirement thing and am starting an oven in the backyard. I'm a building contractor in Southern Calif. and things are a little slow right now.
    My question regards the amount of insulation needed over the firebrick of the dome. The instructions say in one area that the firebrick alone would be enough while the other areas of the instructions call for insulating blanket with perlite concrete over. Wondering what most people are doing for thickness of the walls and type of insulation? I'm planning on pizza and bread.

Re: getting started

Hi Cookerman. Welcome!

My dome is covered with 3-4 layers of 1" refractory blanket then the vermiculite concrete over that. I even have some blanket over and around the entry arch area. You can't have too much insulation.

I'm not sure where the instructions say fire brick is enough. If there is a spot where your oven could lose heat, insulate if possible. Exceptions are of course the front of the entry and landing.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

In short, the more insulation the better! Make sure you insulate under the hearth as well as over the dome. Are you planning to build an igloo style or more of a house-type structure? I have a stone house structure and in addition to 2-3" on blanket, I filled the whole house area with loose vermiculite. It retains heat for a very long time.

Drew
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Ken and Drew, you guys are great. Good advice.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

enjoy your build, i know i am.
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
          like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Cooker,
            You have found the right place for all the advice you'll need. Where are you in SoCal? There are 3 or 4 of us in the San Diego area.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the help on the insulation. I am building an igloo style. Just started the blockwork for the base yesterday.

I am located in Cardiff by the Sea

Comment

I didn't use the blanket material. I used a tin foil layer then 5 inches of vermiculite concrete (12:1 mix). I have 4 inches of 8:1 mix under the hearth firebrick.

It holds the heat well. We had pizza yesterday for super and, as I write (11:00 AM) the oven temperature is still 250 degrees. My wife is letting it cool to 200 degrees before putting in a slow cook sirloin roast for tonight's supper.

Comment

Cookerman
                  I used the FB blanket then added about 4" of vermiculite over that. It has worked very well for keeping the heat in. BTW I am in Oceanside, I just finished a job in Cardiff yesterday. It was on Summit Place. Looking forward to your pics

Mark

Comment

Working...
                  X