Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started in SE Minnesota

I live in Fillmore County about 30m southeast of Rochester, MN

The economy is in the tank, business is slow and it appears I've finally got time to build a Pompeii oven! I'm planning to pour the slab within the next 2 weeks (on top of concrete piers). The oven stand will be crafted from rip-rap sized limestone from the quarry in Fountain. The oven itself will be about 42 inches.

Still pondering the rest of the details ... if there are any other builders within 100 miles or so I would be interested in visiting to see how your projects have turned out.

Re: Getting Started in SE Minnesota

We are not in your neighborhood, but if you get out west, stop on by!

Good to hear you are making the time to build an oven, they are great fun to build, and to use.

Do keep us posted on progress ( send pictures ...), and send along any questions. Stick pretty close to the plans (at least insulate what ever you build) and you should end up with a good cooking oven!

JED

Comment

Hi,

Did you start your oven project? How's it going so far? I'm within your 100 mile radius and would be interested in learning about what you've discovered.

Comment

I have started... The slab was poured floating on concrete piers. I had a difficult time acquiring adequate limestone with which to build the oven stand -- instead, I have opted to use 4 large slabs of cut limestone (seconds) acquired from the Biesanz Quarry in Winona. Slabs are 4-6 inches thick, 24" tall and vary from 32-48" in width. Slabs are arranged in a rough rectangle and the hearth was poured to float on top of these slabs. Since the limestone slabs are only 24" high, I made the hearth about 12" thick. 4" for the structural reinforced concrete and the rest is 5:1 insulating vermicrete.

I will let the hearth cure a few more days and then get started laying the oven floor.

Have you built an oven -- or thinking about starting one?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the note. I'm thinking about starting an oven and thought I'd solicit some thoughts from another "local." The limestone stand sounds like it will look fantastic--that was a good idea.

What made you decide to put the slab on concrete piers? I'm also very interested to hear how the oven "dome" goes together for you.

Comment

Hi
            I live in the St. Cloud area and want to build an oven. Would appreciate any help/tips as your oven progresses.
            Thanks

Comment

The slab is on piers below the frost line due to a recommendation by one of my neighbors who is a concrete contractor.

You are welcome to come down and see how the dome is coming together. I'm here most of the time ... Google "hazelhill minnesota" for contact details.

Comment

Cool thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nellieteach View Post
                  Hi
                  I live in the St. Cloud area and want to build an oven. Would appreciate any help/tips as your oven progresses.
                  Thanks
                  Nellieteach, You, as well as any other readers of this thread, are also welcome to stop by or phone for more details to see how the dome is progressing. Contact info can be found at: HazelHill Enterprises Homepage.

Comment

Any pics yet? I'm hoping to start my oven soon. I'm just north of the cities in Centerville.
                    Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Question, where did you all end up getting your fireclay from?
                      Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

I am thinking of building a wood fired oven in south east minnesota as well

we have a place over by fountain

We just just finished remodeling teh house

Would love to come over and see yours

Comment

Working...
                        X