Outer covering of oven. . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer covering of oven. . . .

We have built a beautiful oven out of firebricks and now it's time to cover it. We have heard everything from cement to stucco but have no idea what material is best and why.

Can someone help us?

Thanks,

Bob
    Jalisco, Mexico

Re: Outer covering of oven. . . .

Let your conscience your guide!!!!
    Last edited by CajunKnight; 06-05-2009, 07:21 AM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
    like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

You need insulation first...make sure you have that before you put your final finish on...
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I went with the dome via the stucco route. I couldn't find stucco in cin ohio so I used Type S mortar (per Quickrete recommendation). Worked well but I'm still developing some hairline cracks a year later through by Behr masonry paint. If I could do it again I think I would use Quickwall (from Quickrete - surface bonding cement) first and then maybe cover that with a type s mortal.

Good luck.
        Dick

Comment

I bought an insulation blanked from the same place that had the fire bricks and fire clay. The stuff is rated up to 1600 degC. It was quite expensive but if you really want to retain the heat I think it is worth it. Above that I put a 10cm layer of vermiculate/cement mix.

As a finishing render I used a mortar mix with plenty of PVA and water proofer. The PVA makes the mixture really stick and easy to work with.

As the weather can get really bad here in the UK a used a good quality masonry paint at the end.

The isolation properties of the oven still amaze me. Even after hours of making Pizza the outside just does get even warm.

Comment

I used an acrylic stucco.

Comment

Working...
            X