Hello from Uganda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from Uganda

Thanks Janine for clearing that up. I think i'm safe to say, no one here advocates killing anything. But when they invade your space and become a threat, something needs to be done. Killing is not the first option, but is an option when the situation calls for it. Janine is absolutely correct that the local belief is to kill any snake you see. I have had to stop workers from killing them many times. We have a many beautiful snakes here and I do what I can to coexist with them. Sorry for posting the pics, didn't mean to offend anyone.
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

lwood, no ofense taken,(from me at least) Janine
      Cheap and abundant insulation: ash. As long as it remains dry it's actually an excellent insulator and you have the added advantage that you're gonna be making it on a regular basis anyway.
      archena bricngs up a good point here.... also, there are a ton of articles on sawdust kilns and stoves, You could fire bricks in the sawdust kiln,, Now if you only had access to some sawdust.... didnt you say in the begining you had access to pozzolanic cement ?
      The first known pozzolan was pozzolana, a volcanic ash, for which the category of materials was named. The most commonly used pozzolan today is fly ash, though silica fume, high-reactivity metakaolin, ground granulated blast furnace slag, and other materials are also used as pozzolans.
      I remeber reading somwhere (looking for it) that pozzollanic cement had some refractory qualities... Maybe you could use that to make rocket stove bricks as well,,,

Will let you know if I find anything good....

Health for Masindi: Blog of Janine LeGrand for those who missed it the first time around here is a link to Janine's blog.... pretty interesting stuff

cheers
      mark

Comment

I really wasn't "offended" at your pics guys, especially since I knew it was used as food. I was just afraid others might join in with their pictures and tales of how many copperheads they just killed under their shed. It doesn't take much to get some folks started... There's relatively few on the side of the snake so we have to stand up for them.

I've followed your thread from the beginning Janine, thanks for all the coverage of your build and the pics of the great food you've been making!

Darius

Comment

Hi Janine,
          Havent heard from you or your oven for a while.... Hope the snakes didnt get you ??

Hows it going in UGANDA,,, any progress ??

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Hi!

I bought a bracelet from Bead for Life last Saturday. Ever hear of them? They're based in Kampala.

How's the oven working out? Still love it?

Inquiring (i.e. nosy) minds want to know!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi everyone!

No, it wasn't the snakes that got me, it was the mosquitoes! I came down with malaria. Then either from the malaria or the meds to treat it, I got something called labyrnthitis, which is an irritation on the inner ear that causes vertigo and balance problems. Not much fun being mostly laid out flat when you are alone in a house which at the time had no working power or water. But trust in God and lots of friends helped me get through this and I am almost well. I am able to get around and do most things but I haven't tried riding my motorcycle yet. I have fallen twice while walking due to poor balance, and the second time I sprained my ankle, but that also is healing. Even through all this, the oven is still getting used a fair bit. Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza  from WFOsmldocsize.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	278693One of the women here whom I taught to make pizza has made me several. She also has baked breads, muffins and rolls for me (with a little advice here and there). My security guard, with a helper has also built a roof over the oven. [ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	simple roof over oven smldocsize.JPG
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	278695[/ATTACH] As you can see, they needed to first build a ladder to reach the roof. When my helper made two pizzas we had a little left over dough, and from that I made cinammon rolls.Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza dough scrap cinnamon rolls smldocsize.JPG
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	278694 Just spread out the pizza dough in a rectangular-ish shape, smeared it with margarine then sprinked on sugar and cinnamon. I rolled it up to a log and sliced off rounds and baked. Yum!

Still lots more I want to do, such as the low-firewood option for the oven, moving the chimeny, making a door etc but very busy now trying to catch up on my work. We will have a medical team arriving on Sat and I am trying to check on all the preparations. If I have any lingering medical problems, I can get them to check me out too.

Yours from Uganda
              Janine

P.S. No, I haven't heard of those beads. Kampala is a ways from here and there are lots of groups working to help here in Uganda. Thank you though for caring for these people and helping!
              Last edited by Janine M. LeGrand; 12-08-2009, 03:46 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Sorry you got sick Janine! Glad to see the oven's really getting used. Your food looks really awesome. What day would work best for you for my wife and I to come over and help you eat some of that fire-roasted grub? We could exchange recipes. I going to try my flour-less chocolate torte(with white chocolate mousse) in the wfo. It's melt in your mouth delish!

Thanks for the update and stay well!

Darius

Comment

Hey Janine,
                  Glad your on the mend... Feel better

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Feel better soon, Janine!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

• Re: Hello from Uganda

Thanks everybody for the "get well" wishes. Darius, come on over for a meal anytime; its only about a 2 day trip by plane Yum...white chocolate sounds delicious. Why don't you bring the dessert?
                      --Janine

Comment

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Everyone at this thread!

For those of you having a white Christmas, enjoy the beauty but on the other had you probably aren't using your WFO Here on the equator it is still nice and warm and my WFO is still getting a lot of use--as much as I can find time.Click image for larger version

Name:	Janine using pizza ovenDoc Size.jpg
Size:	501.3 KB
ID:	278961Here you see me taking out a batch of mango curry pocket pies. I collected the fruits from one of the mango trees by my house (behind my head you can see the trunk). More mangos than I can possibly use even with dehydrating them when I have the time. (Aside from snacks, I plan on putting dried mango in breakfast muffins, yum.) Using some of the fresh fruit, I made mango pocket pies using a recipe from Alton Brown (Good Eats) which were delicious. Click image for larger version

Name:	mango curry pocket piesDocSize.jpg
Size:	576.6 KB
ID:	278962
                        For Christmas I did a 2 layer cocoa cake in the WFO then frosted it with white buttercream icing and decorated it with red and green piped icing. Sorry no photo but I was in a rush to get it to the Christmas party where it was a big hit. I've also been doing some savory pocket pies, and tonight I used up some leftover fillings by throwning the bits in a quiche.Click image for larger version

Name:	quicheDocSize.jpg
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	278963 This quiche included wild spinich, mushrooms, onion, gouda cheese, white sauce and some leftover roast chicken. I know some people are hesitant to do a quiche even in a regular oven, but they are not that tricky and mine cooked just fine in a well heated then somewhat cooled WFO. I'm finding lower heat cooking a bit tricky at times (still haven't remade the door yet) but the quiche worked well with the oven somewhere around 275 - 300 deg F guesstimated. (Ok, so that's not a real word--but it should be). I'm finding that I also need to be careful how much flame is present--actual flame as opposed to heat from embers. I think the flame thows off a lot of radiant heat leading to lots of browning (or burning the top if too much) as opposed to convection and conductive heat from the burning embers. So I am starting to adjust my fire based not only on temperature but on amount of flame to get my desired results. Also, you need to keep in mind how much heat the oven walls/floor have had a chance to store up. The quiche was cooked after the oven had been hot most of the day with other cooking and then had had some time to cool a bit. I kept the flame pretty small and off to the very far left edge of the oven away from the quiche. Getting what you want out of the oven is an artistic sort of thing--part science but a lot of educated instinct too at least for me as I'm flying blind with little.
                        instrumentation such as those fancy IR thermometers and all. It's pretty fun actually. I still think a nicely made dish in the WFO usually beats what comes out of a typical indoor oven hands-down in taste.
                        Anybody else play around with the amount of open flame vs non-flame heat (e.g. embers, stored heat)? Of course having an open flame will affect the temperature but I'm finding the relationship more complex. A hot oven with no visible flame doesn't surface-brown food as much as a cooler oven with lots of open flame in my experience. Note that surface-browning is not the same thing as cooking through--so you need to watch both... Please let me know your experiences as I haven't heard anybody talking about this difference.

Your in Christ,
                        Janine

Comment

Hello Janine

Although fairley new to FB forum, I have read your postings from the beginning of your project and I am truly impressed in what you have achieved with the tools and materials "at hand" to build such a beautiful wood-oven. It goes hand in hand with your work in Uganda. You are a true Trojan

Best of luck in 2010 with your culnary creations and good work in your community.

Regards, from a cold and snowy South Wales

Terry (C.F)
                          Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Hi Janine,
                            Good to hear from you,, your food looks excellent... I have cooked with retained heat a few times.. I always use a door though, My favorite is porkloin, (see pics) after a night of cooking pizza's I let the oven cool down to about 300 degrees farenheit and put the pork loin in,(around 9:30PM) close the door and take it out in the morning.. best slow cooked pulled pork ever.. I think you need to get your door going again.. May I ask, where you are in Uganda,, are there stores? butcher ? how and where do you if you buy your groceries or are most of your items fresh, home grown, etc,,
                            Cheers
                            Mark
                            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Mark,
                              Your slow cooked pulled pork looks delicious--you've got my mouth watering here. Yeah, I need to get to the door but have a few projects ahead of it that I need to get done first. When I get to the door I want to readjust the doorway arch a bit--I had a little slippage making the doorway arch a bit uneven; obviously I rushed a bit too much in my impatience to get the oven firing.... oh, well. Everything is fixable of course.

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                              May I ask, where you are in Uganda,, are there stores? butcher ? how and where do you if you buy your groceries or are most of your items fresh, home grown, etc,,
                              Meat such as beef and goat comes from stalls in the market, freshly slaughter and hanging in the open air. If you want pork, you have to go hunting for a pork butcher hidden off away from the market square. Due to the high muslim population pork is kept seperate and in the equivalant of "back alleys," and aside from being "unclean" religously I find the pork butchers a bit dirty at times even by local standards, so obviously I'll make sure to cook it thougoughly.

Fish comes from the surrounding lakes in baskets covered with plant leaves then displayed out in the direct sun on a table. The first time I bought fish here, the fish monger gutted it for me and accidentally the fish slipped and droped in the dirt. "No problem" he said and rinsed it off in a pan of water (obviously used before for cleaning fish guts etc) and bagged it for me. I brought it home, washed and cooked it well and it was delicous and no problems. You have to be a bit flexible about things here-- meat or fish covered with flies, hung without refrigeration etc is just normal life.

As you might imagine, most of my food is actually vegetarian and/or home raised. Let's break down last nights dinner (quiche) to see:

Eggs--I get about 8 to 10 a day from my chickens. Organic, incredibly fresh--can't get better eggs. What I or my staff don't eat usually goes to feed my dog--he gets about 4 eggs a day for protien since he very rarely gets meat. Mostly he eats cornmeal mush and eggs--you have to cook for your dog here instead of buying dog food.Click image for larger version

Name:	Jojo1websize.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	278973

Flour, salt, baking powder, cheese, spices--from what they call here a "supermarket" which is like an old fashioned mom and pop general store about the size of a small 7-11. Generally here there is not much refrigeration, but the "supermarket" does have a freezer and refrigerator so you can get a selection of about 4 or 5 frozen goods. Cheese here is fairly exotic but I can buy one type of cheese (gouda) frozen fairly regularly. Power here is fairly unreliable, so stores like this need to have a generator to power the cold and that gets pretty expensive in petrol costs so most places don't keep cold items.

Onions, spinich, tomatoes etc-- I grow a number of veggies like onions, lettuce, tomatoes, spinich, collard greens, cucumber, green beans plus basil for seasoning. When not ready in the garden or things I don't have I buy from the market square. The market square is an open market with many stalls mostly selling fresh veggies stacked in piles on the stands or in baskets. Meat hangs open in front of butchers, live chickens in cages, sacks of dried beans, rice, cassava (tapioca) etc. Very colorful, a bit crowded and even a little noisy as people bargain--no prices dispayed and bargaining is very common. At the moment, my tomaotes have suffered from my neighbor's free roaming chickens so I bought some from the market. Virtually everything here is organic, fresh, vine-ripened etc so again wonderful quality. The spinich grows really well here--a local type called "dodo" and I have tons in my garden so used that. I also have two large fields I plant for staples--this season I planted maize, soybeans, red beans and white beans. The maize grew very well, but I lost most of my crop to monkeys--I am next to a swamp where people have recently started planting more land driving the monkeys out and they are running around eating everybodys fields. Despite hiring a guard everyday to chase them away I still lost a majority of the crop. I can't complain too much though because for me that doesn't mean starvation--it is just an annoyance. Soybeans and other beans did quite well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backyard chickens and goatsDocSize.jpg
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	278971 Click image for larger version

Name:	grey baby goatDocSize.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	278972
                              Chicken--when you raise your own food, you don't slaughter an animal lightly. But from time to time you will want meat, have an extra animal, or want to host someone etc. I had a young rooster who suffered a leg injury (caught by a dog) which never recoved well with him remaining lame. Since he really wasn't going to be useful otherwise he eventually became roast chicken and the leftovers into my quiche. In additon to chickens, I keep a small number of goats and ducks.

So that gives you an idea of food here. You can eat really well here if you can cook. No fast food--made from scratch, additive-free, organic, fresh food is the norm. While I do at times long for a Whopper with Cheese, actually it likely would taste very strange to me now and the additives etc would be hard on my system--still long for one though!

--Janine
                              Last edited by Janine M. LeGrand; 12-31-2009, 12:47 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Hi Janine,
                                wow,, sounds like it could be difficult at times, but also sounds very interesting ..... Once again I applaud you and your efforts.. Did you ever make any progress with the Rocket Stove ?

Thanks for giving us an insight to your world

Cheers
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X