Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hello from Uganda

Happy New Year everyone!

I was thinking about Mark's question about where I get my food and I went to the market today to buy a few things so I snapped some photos so you all could see what shopping is like here.

Freshly slaughtered beef arriving at the market:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	meat coming to marketDocSize.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	278974

The beef being hung for sale. You might notice the stomach is also being carried in for sale--offal is part of people's diet here:

Name:	meat at market1 copyDocSize.jpg
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	278975

Fish is mostly tilapia with some nile perch and a sort of catfish:

Name:	fish at market2DocSize.jpg
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	278976

Lots of veggies of course:

Name:	cabbages at marketDoc Size.jpg
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	278977

I went in the middle of the day when the market is not particularly crowded, but there are still people milling about, shopping and kids playing. Half of the population here is under 15 years of age so there are kids everywhere:

Name:	children in marketDocSize.jpg
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	278978

Hope the picture brought this a bit more to life for you--it is hard to describe things well with only words.

---Janine

Comment

Happy New Year Janine! (and all fellow Forno Bravo addicts!)!

Your story has been inspirational to many of us! Best wishes for a wonderful New Year!
      Jay

Comment

Name:	9652.gif
Views:	2
Size:	576 Bytes
ID:	278980

Happy New Year, Janine!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Janine,
          Thanks for showing us around, though it must be difficult at times.... It in a way sounds very appealing to live in such a simple way (simple but difficult) Hope all remains well for you and would love to see more pics of your "neighborhood" Good luck to you and your mission in the new year !!!
          Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

You're quite right that this simple life does have a lot of appeal--it is a good way to live despite some real hardships at times. God's plans for us are for good and He prepares and chooses us for things based on how He made us, so this is the right life for me. He also is with us through the hard parts, strenghtening, enouraging and at times guiding us if we just listen to Him.

Here are a few more pics from here. The first is some members of a church group in a program called "Family Life Program" which I am working with. Here some women show off a low-firewood stove which they learned to build through the program. By reducing the amount of wood used for cooking there is less of a burden financially to buy wood or they save a lot of time by not having to gather so much wood. (Also help reduce deforestation, too) I have done a number of teachings such as clean water, nutrition etc with this program. I am also working with the leader of this particular local group to try to build a "rocket stove" (See earlier in this thread--here is where I found out about those) and will meet with him again on Thursday.Click image for larger version

Name:	hi five cookingLowFirewoodStoveDocSize.jpg
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	279014

In the next picture I am teaching on nutrition at a local church:

Name:	Teaching nutrition at a local church.JPG
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	279015

Below, I am working with a group of church leaders who did a course on sanitation--here we were making it practical by rebuilding a latrine.Click image for larger version

Name:	DTC latrine repair2DocSize.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	279016

It is not all work of course, and here is a picture of some elephants I saw when I went up to the conservation area on the Nile River. Also, no pictures on the computer yet but for New Year's Day I went to see some White Rhinos--got within about 20 feet of them while on foot. Pretty amazing!

Name:	elephant trioDocSize.jpg
Size:	619.7 KB
ID:	279017

--Janine

Comment

Hi Janine,

How are you and your oven doing in Uganda ?? Hope its all going well,, Let us know..

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Hi everyone,
                Sorry I've been gone so long. I am fine here and even had a short trip back to the US for a bit. Now back in Masindi, Uganda and hard at work. The WFO is still seeing a lot of use. Not only for cooking, but I've also used it to fire bricks for making rocket stoves. We've made a number of rocket stoves and people like the firewood savings and I like the increased safety for children compared to the open fires commonly used. Less smoke too. As for the cooking in the WFO, lots of things there--roast duck, pocket pies, roast chicken in many flavors, cakes, lots of breads, peanut butter cookies, sugar cookies, bisquits, muffins, cupcakes, pretzels and more.
                The oven is holding up well though some repairs are needed. Considering the hard use its seen, not a surprise. The hard part is having time to repair the oven --when I have extra time, I'm usually cooking in it!
                I am very happy with the oven, and with this forum also. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Hi Janine! Glad to hear from you!
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

Janine, you are my new super-hero. Thank you for the advice you gave me on my post. I read all of yours and I am very impressed with your accomplishments both in building a WFO with no "modern" supplies at the corner hardware store as well as your work in Uganda. The world would be a much better place if we all could follow your example in some way: Get by on little and help others more. Keep up the good work and post as much as you can. I'll keep my eye on your blog too! Sincerely Gene.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodneyf View Post
                      This build is going to be one for the books so please keep the pics coming and there will be a lot of us keeping watch.
                      Even watching with anticipation from Afghanistan - you are doing well all things considered

Comment

Janine, it's SteveS from near Arusha in Tanzania. Just wondering how your oven is holding up. Maybe if you are able to share the regrets or do agains in your build, that would be great!

SteveS.

Comment

Janine,

Just read and thoroughly enjoyed this thread...

Wondering how you are doing and whether any locals have taken enough interest in your oven to build their own... also, have you gotten around to improving/altering your oven?

Look forward to hearing from you,
                          CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Working...
                          X