Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: daves build

gday all,
    been working hard lately and no time to concentrate on oven! Finnally got the insulating blanket on and have started the render process. Have had the oven almost up to max temp and no visible cracks , so I happy with that.I cooked a beer can chicken the other day and if you havent done that I suggest you give it a go , it was AMAZING!
    Cheers all
    Dave

Comment

looking superb Dave. Well done- Along the lines of what I was thinking design wise.
      Why oh Why Did I stumble across this forum- its going to be expensive

Steve

Comment

Thanks olive!
        I am thinking the final look will be a bluestone arch with the chimmney bricked in all the way up with same old reds that are in the house so it all ties in. That is the plan although it might take a while to get there.
        Cheers
        dave

Comment

Gday all ,
          I have just bought the old red bricks today to finally finish the outside of the stand and start on the chimmney. Its great when your oven is operational but if you havent finished the job, it seems to take a bit to get motivated and stop cooking in it!
          I am going to get it done, sooner rather than later. I have a side of beef in there tonight that was marinated in an African spicy marinade overnight.The backyard smells great. I heard one of the neighbours say " what is that great smell" Its the OVEN BABY!

Comment

Ok after a hard day in the back yard I have managed to get most of the brickwork done around the stand and the lead in to the oven. I am truly on the home stretch now I think.
            Cheers
            Dave

Comment

Gday again ,
              Started on the chimmney and also managed to get the Arch done in Hawthorn black bricks to give it a bit of contrast. Seems to have worked out ok, they still need a clean up , but I will wait untill the chimmney is finished. Anyway bye for now.

Comment

Hi Dave
                looking good ,
                picked up my fire bricks today so now the fun can begin.

Gary

Comment

Hey Dave! Just saw the latest progress of your build. It's great to see it coming along really well. Great idea using bricks for the enclosure. Have you been cooking in it lately?
                  sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                  WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                  Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Hey raffy
                    yes thats the problem I have been spending so much time cooking in it that I have slowed right down on the building! the food is just awesome.
                    even the wife is impressed
                    I thought I would fire it once a week maybe before I built it but seems to be more like 3 times a week. I just got the door today from a friend who knocked it up for me for a bottle of good plonk! It needs a polish but other than that it fits well. I will put a temp guage in the middle of it. I still have a bit to go on the chimmney but I am certainly on the home stretch. The stupid thing is we have just started talking about moving house! That means I will be back to square one! AAAh well what can you do!
                    By the way your flue is something to behold! I reckon you might have a world record there for the biggest flue on a forno!
                    Happy cooking
                    Dave

Comment

Great build Dave.
                      All of these build threads are inspiring me to get a move on.
                      I just won an ebay auction for some firebricks!

Comment

Razbarb check your PM's

Comment

Razbarb nice win on the firebricks!
                          Get into it, I had never laid a brick before starting this project as it probably shows and nearlly didnt build it B/C I thought it might be a little out of my handyman league. However it has been a rewarding project and I have learnt alot along the way. Best thing is to dive straight in! good luck

Comment

Hi Dave,
                            great work on the deco arch and brick work,looks like its all coming together nicely.How thick is your door ?
                            I have started my oven and will post some update photos soon.

regards Gary

Comment

gday Aussie thx for feed back!
                              Mate thought I would just take a pick of door width for you. I also ripped temp gauge out of my old barby and installed in the door. Seems to work well.
                              I have been following your build and its very impressive! Keep up the good work! The door itself got quite hot but Im not sure how you would get around that problem.Its far enough in that kids cant reach it and I just use mitts when taking it in or out.I might have to engineer a hold for it on the side or something? Any suggestions? Im told wood handles burn!
                              Cheers
                              Dave

Comment

Nice work on the door Dave. Since it's hot and has no insulation, it probably is losing heat. Ideally, you need to have some insulation on the inside, then another piece of steel against that and something to cover the exposed edges of insulation around the edges. Did you do the welding? I'm impressed (read: jealous ). I'm procuring all the parts now for my door so I don't have any experience and I can't weld so it will be screwed, bolted and glued together.

If you search here, you'll see how many have made an insulated door. Some used the rigid insulation, some the soft ceramic blanket (on your dome) others used the vermiculite/conc mix, welded a 2" wide door with hole in the top, poured it into the steel door and welded closed.

What you have is pretty good, but I bet you could retrofit it with insulation too.

Cheers, Dino
                                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Working...
                                X