Chicken Wire Before Thermal Blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Wire Before Thermal Blanket

Does anyone know, after you are done with the dome, wraping it with chicken wire then hi temp mortar, before you add the blanket. will it help with the strength of the dome? I searched for some answers but can't seem to find.

Re: Chicken Wire Before Thermal Blanket

I don't think you are going to get much additional strength, the mortar will add thermal mass, I put the chicken wire over the blanket to hold it all smooth. Strength of the dome shouldn't be a concern, I'm sure you could stand and jump on top of it without worries.
    E

Comment

There is also some thought that, as the melting point of zinc is 420 C, the galvanizing on the wire might degrade and the wire could corrode anyway. It's buried under there so who's going to take a look? The idea of the chicken wire over the blanket is to hold it in place and to provide some strength for the vermicrete layer.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gday I put a layer of shirlite which is an insuating concrete over dome then put the blanket then chicken wire and mortar. never have to much insulation!

Comment

Thanks crwdtb I was looking for more strength than insulation. But if built correctly i guess it is not an issue. Did you cure your overn before you put the blanket on?

Comment

I personally did have a few fires before I put on blanket due to the fact that I was just impatient. Having said that though I had the big fires once it was all on. It won't crack the outside because the blanket allows the oven to expand and contract without putting any pressure on outer layer.

Comment

That is true, but I think the greater problem is moisture in the insulation layer turning to steam and creating enormous pressure. I believe that this is what creates cracks in the outer shell. Therefore cure after insulation (particularly if you use vermicrete or perlcrete because they take up so much water) and before stucco.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks guys, what type of wood did you use for the lower heat fires?

Comment

Some people say start off with newspaper gradually add more sheets

Comment

Working...
                  X