Hearth build up / strength question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth build up / strength question

Ok, I'm totally a newbie on this and am learning as I go. I have built my stand (a corner model) for an angled 42" oven. I poured the concrete slab for the hearth base and then the perlite/portland cement mix to the specs outlined in the plans. The perlite mix goes right to the edges of the hearth.

My question is this: Given the structural limitations of the perlite/portland mix, what are my options for putting a finishing layer on the hearth to protect against moisture, or alternatively, can I build up walls and a roof on top of the hearth? Will the perlite/portland mix hold up with the weight?

In retrospect, I probably should have formed it off to limit the perlite to just beyond the perimeter of the dome, but it is too late for that.

Any thoughts sincerely appreciated.

Re: Hearth build up / strength question

It is easy enough to remove the perlcrete from the area where your walls will be, and that is what you will need to do.

Comment

Thank you for asking this question! We did the same thing, but ran short of the perlite/concrete mix.

Tscarborough, do you mean we'll need to chip off any perlite mix that does not go right under the dome? Many thanks in advance, Heather in Pittsburgh

Comment

Yes. Cut back the perlite to just short of the dome. If not, and depending on your finish, this layer could be a constant source of water entry.

The way to thing of this is to draw a circle - this is the inside of the oven. Draw a circle around that - this is the brick and hearth brick, the thermal mass. Another circle around that - this is the insulation. Another circle around that- this is the support slab and finish/cladding.
        Last edited by Neil2; 08-31-2010, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Just one more question. If we are going to put a layer of tile on top of the perlite level, would we still need to cut it back? Would we be better served to do so anyway?

Many thanks!

Heather

Comment

Working...
          X