Oven Floor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven Floor question

In a brick oven pizza setting with an open flame this is actually pretty cold, and not a temperature I would expect leoparding at, but more of an even browning. Depending on dome height all ovens are in balance at a different temperature, but most people run at a hearth temperature of at least 750F. The traditional ovens built in naples with low domes are generally run at 900+F on the floor.
    Originally posted by EP-1550 View Post
    Thanks stonylake,
    The 4 floor bricks are not loose, the oven was built on top of them...
    Maybe I'm overeating, but the reason i want to do this is because I fell like the dough crust is getting done while the bottom of the dough does not show the "brown spots"...

It might be that I'm cooking the pizza too close to the fire or a combo of both.
    The floor gets very hot...about 700F when I move the fire to the side and then a constant 550 to 600...

I just had a much bigger oven before and i'm still trying to get used to this little guy.

Thanks,

Comment

Hi EP. I am from Michigan as well and just started my WFO project. Which area of the state are you in?

Comment

Hi LeoL,
        I'm in Bloomfield.
        you?

Comment

Dmun,
          thanks for all of the advice.
          Yes, my oven is outside and there might be a bit of infiltration from the sides of the stones and maybe a little from where the oven connects with the granite counters of my outdoor kitchen.

I had a guy that has good experience with outdoor kitchen's and ovens take a look and he applied a better seal to the structure and where the dome meets the granite.

He also did recommend to elevate the floor with firebricks...he thinks that my door opening is too big the the size of my oven and gave me a couple options to think about.

The other items that he mentioned was to lay the bricks on a 50-50 mix of regular sand and fireclay sand. IS THIS NORMAL? isn't it dangerous to leave dry Fireclay sand exposed at the bottom of the oven...even with bricks on top I know that Fireclay sand needs some special care...

Comment

Working...
          X