Cleaning Dome Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Dome Mortar

I am building my first oven and would like to know how am I going to clean mortar from the inside of my dome if I use a foam board form? I am sure that the mortar is going to be quite hard before I can clean it. Also how wide can the mortar joints be if I use the Forno Bravo mortar?

Re: Cleaning Dome Mortar

you could try Sure-Klean or some of that sort read the directions before that though good luck
    Professional cleaners in Hornsby could be the right answer of all of your domestic issues.

Comment

Dent, I appreciate the help from down under. I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome . Since I am going to use a foam board mold, I will not be able to remove the excess mortar as the bricks are laid. How do people that use molds of any type clean the excess hardened mortar from the inside of the dome? I would like to use a mold as I am obviously not a mason. I made my living in the engineering world. I did the drawings. Getting a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by pappap View Post
        Dent, I appreciate the help from down under. I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome . Since I am going to use a foam board mold, I will not be able to remove the excess mortar as the bricks are laid. How do people that use molds of any type clean the excess hardened mortar from the inside of the dome? I would like to use a mold as I am obviously not a mason. I made my living in the engineering world. I did the drawings. Getting a picture?
        Why not use an indspensable tool that way you can clean the inside as you go?

chip
        Chip

Comment

Or a simple vane. You do need to clean as you go or you will be spending a lot of time with a grinder and acid. Keep the gap to a minimum. That requires cuts, some have choose not to do so and their ovens work just as well. It's just a matter of preference.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

"I am more concerned about the mortar that will surely collect on the inside of the dome ."

This is just an aesthetic issue. Knock the big chunks off and leave it at that.

Comment

Hi
              I used a plywood dome guide... was mindful of the excess mortar and was still able to wipe most blobs as I went. When finally burnt out (the Fun bit) I found only a few blobs here and there....which were easily knock off
              Trust me after the first pizza you will no worry

Regards Dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I didnt bother at all, there are still some dags and lumps hanging off the ceiling of the oven, most feel off when it got hot for the first time.

I just cant see the point of scrubbing out an oven?
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

you can try muriatic acid, but you have to be careful, it etches
                  Professional cleaners in Hornsby could be the right answer of all of your domestic issues.

Comment

I've crawled into my oven once....its not for the fainthearted......but to go in with acid now that scares the "Bejesus" outa me

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by dent ford View Post
                      you can try muriatic acid, but you have to be careful, it etches
                      There is no way you should go inside the dome with acid. This would be a guaranteed way to scar your lungs, professionals use very expensive and exotic equipment when doing acid washes and I am sure you do not have everything needed to be safe.

Chip.
                      Chip

Comment

I got awfully concerned about the "unsightly stains" on the inside of my oven, even starting a similar thread on the subject of cleaning them off:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...cks-15963.html

I did spend some time laying on my back feeling claustaphobic inside my completed oven dome with a wire brush attachment on a power drill. After covering my hair, face and probably lungs with powdered mortar (and the odd chunk), I realised that despite the effectiveness of the technique, it really wasn't worth it.
                        My advice would be to not get too carried away and spoil the fun of the build worrying about such minor details. See what's left after your curing fires and if you you're still worried, then an hour with a wire brush will probably get rid of anything significant.

Good luck.
                        Last edited by Poops; 09-06-2011, 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling
                        ------
                        Poops

Currently building first oven with red brick base
                        FB plans plus Russell Jeavons book

Comment

Working...
                        X