Bricks, I need some insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricks, I need some insight

I have read quite a few posts here and looked at other sites also. My question lies in the bricks, I have the chance to get over 1000 red bricks for free as long as I load and carry. The possible problem is these bricks have 3 holes in them and I am assuming that they will not be sufficent for use as a main component of the oven. I know I can use them to finish the oven but not anywhere heat might transfer. Am I correct?

Re: Bricks, I need some insight

you are correct, your best bet is to use them as "window dressing" for the finished look

RT

Comment

1000 bricks sounds like a great stand to me.......

Regards Dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

those bricks are not for the oven but for the outside of the oven (decorative). Don't use them for any part that will be hit by flame.

Mike

Comment

They recommend not to use wire cuts, even though, they are fired at a much higher temp than youll ever achieve with a wfo.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

They recommend not to use wire cuts, even though, they are fired at a much higher temp than youll ever achieve with a wfo.
            Al,
            Why do you think this is?
            John

Comment

I was always told by the old timers that the air that may be trapped in the holes would expand and explode the brick, sounds like crap to me though.

I have seen old baked, not fired, bricks used in fireplaces that have stood up to the test of time, there really isnt a reason when you think about it why a wire cut brick shouldnt be used.

(The old baked bricks are doughy and easily crumbled, fired bricks are hard and vitrified.)
              Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-31-2011, 02:33 AM.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The composition of the brick is more important. Bricks containing more than 5% iron oxide for instance are more brittle. likewise a high proportion of silica in the clay is undesirable. Looking at brick or breaking it with a hammer is no indication of what it contains. Generally the higher they are fired the stronger they'll be, but a firebrick can often be way weaker in strength than a solid standard clay brick. Insulating firebricks for example can be easily broken with a few taps, yet are probably good for 1300C+ and will not spall from heat.
                A forum member, from Africa, if I remember correctly, used wire cut bricks with holes in them and filled the holes with clay (ant hills I think) this essentially gives you a solid brick and should work ok. I can't recall if he ever reported back re the success or failure of this experiment. A 50/50 sand clay mix should cope with the tendency of the clay to shrink in the holes.
                Last edited by david s; 08-31-2011, 04:37 AM. Reason: Thought of more.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Pizza Oven - YouTube
                  My oven (for now):
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Working...
                  X