The build goes on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The build goes on.

I am back building my oven. I have done the key stone and given the whole dome a thin 10mm coat of homebrew to make it more even before the ceramic blanks go on. I used a sand form for the final 5 layers. I got lazy and it seemed to be the easy way to go. Worked well enough, however the mortar is not as neat in the top layers as the rest.
    When you look inside some of the mortar did not get all the way down and as smooth as the rest. Just in some places and you have to have your head in the dome to see it. I have no thoughts of it falling down. Seems very strong to me, just not as neat as the rest.
    Is there any reason beside looks to crawl in and try to get some mortar into any gaps?
    Is doing this going to cause this new mortar to fall into pizza later on?

I want to start some SMALL fires very soon (been a week since last mortaring was done and seems very dry) to get the thing cured well before wrapping the blanket on as I will be rendering the oven as soon as the ceramic blankets are in place to stop loose fibres being a problem.
    If you read the MSDS for the blankets,, you'd be scared to use it. Iwill be going full asbestos type suit and masks when doing it !
    If the blanket was not so cheap for me I might not have gone this way..
    Has anyone had to tidy up the inside??
    ROb

Re: The build goes on.

Well today was first fire day. just twiggs for a few minutes thismorning. t was nice to see a fire at last! I will do this for the rest of the week and might get insulation done this week end.
    Last edited by robertjusher; 02-22-2012, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Another fire today, kept a small fire going for an hour of so. all looks good so far!

Comment

Gudday Rob
        Hows the hand? Its got to be slowing you down a bit. With the blanket the stuff is great! really hold the heat in... 2in blanket is equal to 4 in pearlite they say...and you dont have all that trapped moisture to wait to dry out! And lets face it you'll only have to use it once....not like you doing it every day for a living. Tried pearlite cement myself the stuffs a bloody awefull ...every tried to trowel rice bubbles and milk

Regards Dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

HI Dave
          surgery went well , I hope this is the last of it! Thanks for asking !
          The sewing came out on Monday, so gentley does it but hope to get the blanket done thie weekend. Has been hard seeing the oven and not being able to do much for the last fortnight!

Had the fire going a few hours today. Seems dry but I will keep going slowly for a bit longer.
          Real keen to crank a fire up and cook something !
          But don't want to crack my dodgy brickwork. As a bricking I make a good sparkie!
          I will clear the decks and full PPE when using the ceramic blanket, the MSDS lists cancer as an exposure risk !!
          Like asbestos I guess.
          I brought a full roll to do the job and the top bloke at the shop had another with a foot or 2 used, he gave me that for free!!! Going to be cheaper then pearlite etc.

What brew did you make up for your render to finish the oven off?
          I think that will be the hardest part as it has to be neat, no hiding the top layer!
          Then the benchtops need to be tiled, finish bench render and pave/tile floor. Then enjoy.
          Well till the next project, always something else in the works.
          Rob

Comment

Rob
            Just used pre mix in bags wasn't worth getting a 1/3 mtre of sand at that point. Put "chook wire" over the insulation sort ta wrapped it around and cut out the entrance cut down the resulting cylinder to the dome and fold in. To tighten up any baggy bits grab the wire with a flat pr plyers and twist side ways it takes up the slack.
            I have had a few cracks at the junction at the entrance and dome so as soon as I get a dry weekend I plan to go over this section using flexible tile cement as a render. A mate had real problems with cracking over his whole dome and used 50/50 mix with render with success.
            Would also consider tiling up to the dome before rendering so you can render up to the tile to get a neat finish ...always hard cutting internal curves on tile.

Regards Dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

Your mate probably did the render before he dried the insulation layer properly, resulting in pressure build up and cracks. No matter, it's just a shell to keep out the weather.
              Best to also cover it to keep in the moisture in the outer shell for a week to increase strength.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.
                I was thinking of tiling first then render. Jus need to sort out a tile...
                And of course it is raining again and looks set to all week !
                Rob

Comment

Gudday
                  Listern to the news.... Heavy wheather warning for the SE for fri night .....rain all weekend....bummmer

Regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once

My Build
                  My Door

Comment

HI
                    Just looked at the BOM. Should have built an Ark (with pizza oven of course).
                    O-well hand needs a rest a little longer I thinkanda long slow cure is better...
                    Rob

Comment

Well between showers I got the fire going again all day today. Nice and slow. Tonight I cranked it up a bit and all was well so some more and then the roof went white. Hot enough to cook a tray of vegies.
                      I have a small crack but no smoke comeing from it so I thinks it's ok. I will cover the crack in the morning by forcing in some ryebond, then weather permitting the ceramic blank goes on and a coat of render.
                      The the tile , paving sink etc. Top coat of render then some more slow fires, then PIZZA !
                      NO MORE RAIN !
                      Rob

Comment

Gudday Rob
                        I leave in the east.....manly west....talk about coastal showers.. its bucketed down today. My oven is about as soaked as it could get....I was building Mod 2 door so last few weeks rains were blown in the oven so with todays 20mm its a No Can Use..... till this wheather changes.
                        One good thing is the woods piling up....I've run out of my usual stowage spaces and started to pile the excess along the chook pen.Come winter I'll have heaps and you can't get a better time in Brisbane to enjoy your oven than a winters day.

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once

My Build
                        My Door

Comment

HI
                          I got 2 layers of 50mm blanket on, wire and a coat of render last weekend. It hasnot rained for a few days and all looks dry, so I made a small fire. Keep it going for 2 hours. Render still cool. So i made the fire bigger, got the roof just going white and the render is still cool. I am so impressed with the ceramic blanket. No heat gets out. I plan on trying pizza soon !

Istill need to tile bench tops and work out how I am going to dress up the front of the arch before getting a top coat of render on ,,,,,,,?
                          But so far no cracks in the render !
                          This thing might just work well after all !
                          Rob

Comment

Q. Where did Noah keep his bees?
                            A. in the Ark hives (archives)
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well the oven and outdoor kitchen is a long way from finished but the urge to cook over came me to night.
                              So I give you the first pizza from the oven. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              We are on a low carb, health kick so pizza is off the list but it's spelt flour so not as bad (just keep telling myself that).
                              Came out well I think and there is no leftovers from the other 6 pizzas.
                              Happy man, wife and family. Just need to get it finished too, so it's fit to entertain.

Comment

Working...
                              X