Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dont I need to dig footer below frost line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii Nate
    replied
    Re: Why dont I need to dig footer below frost line?

I am going to differ from the above two because I am planning a footer similar to that of dbhansen. I was actually talking to a friend today who does masonry here in my area and it was his strong recommendation to put a footer below the frost line of any load-bearing slab. And by the time you figure in all those bricks and a concrete hearth it is my opinion that there will be quite a load on the foundation. Our frost line out here is 36" so I am probably gonna go down 48" and start with a foot of compacted gravel then go to an 8"x10" footer then build with cinder blocks until I get to where I need to be. Like I said I am just stealing dbhansen's idea so check out his build to see what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• Mingy
    replied

If you were to tie a structure into another structure, both would need footings. Your slab will raise up less than an inch in winter then settle back down when the mild weather returns. The example I use is sidewalks: do you ever see the city making a foundation for a sidewalk? Make sure your slab is thick enough and use plenty rebar and make sure you remove all the topsoil and make a packed gravel base. I always put geotextile below the gravel because it stops the gravel from sinking in to the soil.

Leave a comment:

• buckeyebreadman
    replied

I live in southern Ohio. I poured an 8" pad with no footer...
    I doubt if even a 4" pad would be a problem....(think sidewalk) plus it will have a relatively even weight distribution on top of it.....just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• mooch
    started a topic Why dont I need to dig footer below frost line?

Why dont I need to dig footer below frost line?

I am getting ready to start my outdoor kitchen/oven. I live in pennsylvania. Do I need to dig a footer and put my foundation below the frost line like I would for any other structure? I dont see much mention of doing this but dont want to be dealing with the structure heaving after winter freeze cycles either. I would rather not since it is so much extra work but would do it if enough people have had trouble.
Working...
X