X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

Originally posted by spitfirefd View Post
    Gulf,
    So you feel I should pour another 4" of vermiculite concrete on top of the 8" of structural concrete then the fiber board then the fire brick?
    Jason
    The extra thickness of the hearth means nothing to the performance of your oven. You are going with 4 and a half inches of fire brick which suggests that you are interested in thermal mass to preserve heat for multiple cooks. More insulation will benefit you there. It does not have to be 4" of vcrete. It can be 2 more inches of FB board or CalCil. Each are equal to 4" of vcrete. I will go back to what I origionally thought your question was. "Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?" At the very least use the FB board or some form of insulation under the oven.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,
      You are a huge help. I think I will add 3.5" of vermiculite concrete( 2x4 deep) then the 2" fiber board then the brick. That should be plenty of insulation. The vermiculite concrete mix should be a 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part cement right?
      Jason

Comment

Here is a quick picture of the kitchen.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	843.7 KB
ID:	291582

Comment

Great looking start on the kitchen and beautiful location. I am a little on the jealous side . 5-1 for vcrete is correct for under the oven. I don't think that you will regret the extra oven floor height.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Nice looking set-up. Love Santa Cruz! Definitely put 4" of insulation under the firebrick.
            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Thanks Gulf and Iwood. It has been a lot of work to get to this point as I know all of you know way better than I. Now I just need to find the vermiculite, hopefully I will be able to find some at my local hardware store. What consistency should I be looking for on the mix?

Comment

The smaller the better on verm. Mine was like sand and it was still a weird consistency. The bigger the size the harder to work with. I used a 7 to 1 mix. Wet it until it's like dough. Then just slap it on, 4".
                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Try one of your local plant nurseries. I haven't found any in a hardware around here. Lowes and HD may have it in very small bags, but it would cost a fortune to use them as a source. An indepenant nursery will ususally have vermiculite and/or perlite in bulk. My local nursery stocks vermiculite in 4 cubic feet bags. It will usually be medium or course grade. Either one will be ok. There are plenty of great threads covering every aspect of this subject. From forming to curing. I will add some links for you when I locate some of them. The LIKE option wasn't available when I was scouring through the pioneer builds, but you can use it sort of as a bookmark. If you are surfing the threads and run across an idea or information that you want to include in later stages of your build, put a LIKE there. You can later return to your profile page and search the LIKES given for a quick refence .

Comment

As Gulf noted, don't go for the small bags of perlite or vermiculite...way too much money. If you aren't committed to using vermiculite (or don't have an independent plant nursery in the area), look in your yellow pages for a place that deals primarily in concrete & brick products...usually they will be able to supply perlite in the large bags. I used perlite in my build because from my reading it seemed to be a better product (-IMO-and because it was less expensive in my area). Basically it appears to me that both products work just as well and it will come down to price and availability in your area.
                    Last edited by SableSprings; 09-30-2012, 11:49 AM.
                    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just found 3.5cu foot bags at my local garden store for about $29 per bag. There is only one grade so, it will have to work. I plan on using my mixer to mix it, I will just make sure to not over mix it and break it up too much.

Comment

Originally posted by spitfirefd View Post
                        I will just make sure to not over mix it and break it up too much.
                        I did not try to mix mine in my mixer. I was warned on the forum that it would just stick in the mixer requiring part of each batch to be hand dug out of the mixer. From what I saw on how it sticks to the tools, I do believe that it would. I mixed mine in a wheel barrow with a hoe.

I made a scoop out of an old plastic jug to use for placement into the form. The scoop bends to form to the barrows corners, so you can get every drop out between batches .

Comment

Gulf,
                          That sounds smart. What ratio mix is that picture?

Comment

Also, do you set the soldier course on the vermiculite or, just under the floor?
                            Jason

Comment

That was a 5-1 for under the oven and floor. If you get it too wet the portland will not stick to the vermiculite. It will run down to the bottom of the form leaving the top very weak. I did not have what is called a soldier course. I set the walls of the dome and the floor brick on top of 2" Insulation board. (calcil in my case)

Comment

Does anyone know where and how much you can buy 18x18x2.5 firebrick tiles as are what is part of the oven kits sold here on this site?

Comment

Working...
                                X