Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

Hi,
    I am new here and am interested in building an outdoor kitchen with a 42" Pompeii oven in the corner. I know that there are probably many posts about corner builds but, if there is a thread that is more suited for me can someone point me in the right direction. I will post some preliminary pictures soon.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Re: Info on a corner build for an outdoor kitchen

Hello Jason,

I am about to pore my foundation slab for a corner build (after lurking around FB for over a year and switching designs multiple times) and I am getting a lot of my inspiration from http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...tah-17761.html. Even though he is not in a corner he is building a corner unit. Another good one is Texman's build here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html.

I hope this helps. Oh yeah...and if you haven't downloaded the Forno Bravo Pompeii oven plans be sure to do that. It discusses corner builds in there as well.

Good luck.

Nate
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Nate,

Hey, I am honored that you would think my build is good enough to reference to others.

Thanks,

Russell
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Jason,

Welcome to the addicted world of WFOs. Another great resource of some of the best builds on the site is Lburou in the newbie section "http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/newbie-s-survey-forno-bravo-treasures-15133.html". Whether it is barrel, corner, igloo, etc. there is a vast amount of innovations and tips here.

Good Luck

Russell
        Russell

Comment

Russell,

Who are you kidding?! Your craftsmanship and attention to detail were immediately obvious if you ask me. Many of us are and will continue watching your build. No pressure of course.

Nate
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Hi Jason,

I just started a corner build as well. My WFO will be part of an outdoor kitchen with a built in BBQ grill on one side fo the oven and a counter for prep etc on the other.

I also second Nate's suggestions. The newbie section is very good resourse and Utahbeehiver and Texman are great inspiration.

Good luck

Comment

jlopiccolo2,
              That sounds like what am trying to do also with the addition of a wok burner. I have moved and re-moved blocks to see what the best shape will be. Secondly, through plans on this site I think I have chosen an oven with an interior area of about 49". This is probably bigger than I need but, unless there is a good reason other than cost it's not that big of a deal. I was looking at the hearth build and have a question. On the corner build style where there is the diagonal wood storage area with dead spaces in the corners has anyone thought of filling those 2 dead spaces with sand before the vermiculite mixture is poured?

Comment

HI spitfirefd,

If your referring to the dead space under the hearth slab, not sure why you would want to fill with sand. you could just use blocks within the outer block wall to essentially block out the unwanted dead space. check out some pics from utahbeehiver. He is a bit ahead of me on a corner build and you can see his block stand layout which would help...hopefully the below link is correct....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/w...tah-17761.html
                good luck.

Regards
                Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jlopiccolo2 View Post
                  HI spitfirefd,

If your referring to the dead space under the hearth slab, not sure why you would want to fill with sand. you could just use blocks within the outer block wall to essentially block out the unwanted dead space. check out some pics from utahbeehiver. He is a bit ahead of me on a corner build and you can see his block stand layout which would help...hopefully the below link is correct....

Regards
                  Joe
                  I also struggled with the problem of "wasted space" underneath a corner build and decided that having movable carts made to utilize those spaces (rather than fill/block them) would work well for me. As a result, I have two large work surfaces and extra storage that's easily accessible. The carts were made for me by our local community college (as a student project) and I only paid for materials. Take a look at my albums here and through the link to my home page pictures for The Dragonfly Den for more photos. I'm very pleased with the amount of wood I can store and easily grab (without bonking my head on the underside of the landing) and the large addition of available prep/serve surfaces.

For your convenience I added pics here of the initial block layout, basic oven dome, and end results (showing completed oven corner build with carts out and in).
                  Last edited by SableSprings; 07-01-2012, 11:01 PM.
                  Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                  Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                  Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                  Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mike,

I knew I had seen the rolling wood card idea somewhere. Told the other half about it and might use it in my build (single opening though).
                    Russell

Comment

I'm back,
                      Well it's been a month since I started really going on this project. I will be posting pics. soon since I have been taking them along the way. I am sure that I have made some mistakes along the way but, none this far that I can't fix. I poured the hearth at a thickness of 8" concrete and plan on layering the fiber board then the fire brick. Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board? I am also looking for posts on mortar recipes for the dome. Hopefully my next post/posts will include a lot of pictures from along the way.
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by spitfirefd View Post
                        Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?
                        Jason
                        I'm just wondering what is your intended use for the fiber board? (I am thinking "concrete fiber board", maybe I'm wrong) I don't think that it would work for either insulation or as extra thermal mass.
                        Whether or not you shoot for more mass, please put plenty of insulation under that brick floor.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,
                          I was actually referring to the fiber board that FB sells. I think it's 2" thick. I would use a thin mortar layer to adhere that to the concrete then another layer to set the fire brick on. So looking at the build there would be 8" thick then 2" of fiber board from forno bravo then 4.5" fire brick as the floor. What are your thoughts on this?
                          Thanks,
                          Jason

Comment

FB board! Sorry my mistake.
                            But I understand your original question as, "Does anyone think that I could get away with not using the fiber board?" I think that "ceramic fiber board" is a great insulation. You will get a good deal on it from Forno Bravo since you live on the "left coast". I am referring to the cost of the product "plus" shipping. My recomendation is to use 2" of it for the minimum amount of insulation under the floor. Two inches of it, setting on 4" of vcrete: better.

PS: An 8" hearth slab may be a "little" overkill, but who am I to judge overkill . Also I don't think that you need to mortar your floor brick in place.
                            Last edited by Gulf; 09-29-2012, 03:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,
                              So you feel I should pour another 4" of vermiculite concrete on top of the 8" of structural concrete then the fiber board then the fire brick?
                              Jason

Comment

Working...
                              X