First post and about to pour cement..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and about to pour cement..

I got bitten by the bug......I want to build a smallish Pompeii style oven. I'm about to pour a 3.5ft X 3.5ft x 4 inch thick pad with wire mesh for support using Sakrete pro 5000 PSI cement. Using cinder block U shape for the walls reinforced by rebar. Everything else is up in the air. My wife says what I have so far is too big as it is! LOL.

Any recommendations for the size of the top and oven would be greatly appreciated. Simpler the better.

Re: First post and about to pour cement..

Jay
    Welcome to the quest. My thought at this point is that a 3.5 ft. slab (42") will house an oven of internal size of 27" max. That is fine if you want that size. Also, a square slab does not allow room for an entry/landing to work the oven.

Do you have some plans you could post? Take some pics and post of your site so we can see what you are planning.
    Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Put some rebar (with hooked ends) in instead of WWF. This will give considerably more strength than mesh alone.

In fact you can skip the mesh (WWF or Welded Wire Fabric). WWF use is primary for crack control in non loaded slabs such as sidewalks.

Comment

If your wife says it's too big (I never get that complaint) you should go bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          If your wife says it's too big (I never get that complaint) you should go bigger.
          That was funny!
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
          X