X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TropicalCoasting
    replied
    Re: Won't be starting - Pizza ovens banned by local council

Had a friend stay here who I made a pizza for on a pizza stone in an electric oven,
    Full whack for 20 minutes to get the stone and oven hot then put the pizza on 10 to 12 minutes and out
    She couldn't believe you could get a pizza out of a regular fan forced electric oven that tasted as good as her wood fired pizza oven at home

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Uk-exile
    Using a BBQ to cook pizza just doesn't do it. All the heat from underneath heats the stone to reasonable heats but the top heat to cook the top has to be reflected off the hood.... Sorry results, especially as soon as you raise the hood to check you lose the heat ! Yes I've tried a webber Q 200 and hooded 4 burner.
    Best results I've got with a pizza stone. That is the nearest to a WFO is with a domestic gas stove grill . Mines a domestic gas not a bottle so it runs slightly slower and lower. Cook the hell out of the stone under the flame grill for a good 20 mins/30 mins. Pull out the draw with the stone pop the pizza on. You can get pretty close to perfect in 5 mins.
    Problem with the flame so close to hot oils from cheese and meats you run the risk of a small oil fire which is solvable by pulling the draw out straight away. But burnt oil doesn't add to the flavour.
    Forno bravo has added stainless steel domed oven too, Bella outdoor range. Quick heat up pizza ovens with minimal heat retention I'd recon but one of those with gas would be great. ( that proper gas cut off like a a domestic oven)
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

When designed properly length of pipe width etc they are very efficient
    This isnt a pizza oven but you can imagine if the end of the chimney was inside the oven there would really only be the smoke from a burning pizza
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52d5BhxCbRk

theres a few more ideas here

This one is closer to a trad oven but with a rocket stove adaptation

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gV1YAJjknt...0/IMG_2769.JPG

heres more stuff
    http://donkey32.proboards.com/thread...et-pizza-bread
    Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 01-06-2015, 05:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Looks interesting TC. What happens to the gasses generated? They have to go somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• TropicalCoasting
    replied

Have you considered building a pizza oven rocket stove virtually no smoke and very little wood required.
    Dont tell council

or
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...651872f275.jpg
    Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 01-06-2015, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uk_exile
    replied

Appears like the Environment Canterbury (ECAN) regulation will never change
    Buyers could be burned | Stuff.co.nz
    Can I light an outdoor fire or brazier on my residential property?
    So now thinking about gas. Has anyone fitted a LPG gas burner into a WFO ? How effective ? Taste similar ? We've currently using a ceramic plate in a hooded gas BBQ & it works ok. Pizza takes about 5mins to cook.

Leave a comment:

• uk_exile
    replied

Originally posted by Tank View Post
    Thats a good point - it could be fought - But is that the right thing to do at this point.

Im guessing from your post that you do not think it is (And I think most in NZ will agree).

Kia Kaha.

Chris
    Yes, rather than repeatedly hassle council over something petty like approval to use a oven I'd rather their full efforts went into fixing roads, sewers, public services, etc. My house got damaged 2yrs ago (fortunately only minor & still livable) but still it could be another 2-3yrs before it gets fixed by insurers / EQC. In meantime we live with it, can't really sell it in damaged state, can only remain with current insurer (cab't shop around for best price premiums),etc. Not ideal but far better than what we'd be living through in other countries & I suspect much better than say New Orleans as at least we'll be full repaired in time by insurance / govt

Leave a comment:

• Tank
    replied

Thats a good point - it could be fought - But is that the right thing to do at this point.

Im guessing from your post that you do not think it is (And I think most in NZ will agree).

Kia Kaha.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• uk_exile
    replied

I can't find any of the really good before / after images but here's just one link. Majority of CBD is gone
    Christchurch CBD: Before and after - iWitness Story - iWitness - Home - 3 News

Leave a comment:

• uk_exile
    replied

I'm trying as it's only changing a few words in a policy but ultimately the councils aroud here have much bigger items to deal with.
    Need to remember I'm in city where we had massive earthquake, there are thousands of homes in need of complete replacement, majority of other hiouses & buildings need repairs, basically no central business district left as 75% of the buildings (both low & high rise) have been or need to be demolished, etc. Rules changes to allow a fairly recently introduced form of cooking aren't high priority

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

At the point the green flax is in place, the fire itself is out and you're using radiant heat from the stones.

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

Start a new church/cult that makes the wood fired oven the working symbol of your religious beliefs. Then you can claim they are infringing on your worship.

Now that is a church that I would attend regular.

(intended with tongue-in-cheek)

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Tank View Post
    I am sure that there is a treaty of waitangi item that assured people were allowed traditional cooking rights - meaning cooking with fire outside. (Not joking - serious). I know you are not Maori - but the right applies to all. Could be the easiest way to get this thru.
    I did a search and found this reference

Scrumptious Earth Oven
    Maori had an ingenious way of cooking food that is still popular today, and a must for any visitor to try! The hangi, or umu, is an earth oven built in a large pit. Special stones are placed over a fire of wooden sticks. A layer of green flax is laid above the stones, and then layers of meat and vegetables are placed between more layers of flax. A mat covers the oven. Water is then placed on the hot stones, which steams the food. Slow cooking makes the food extremely tender, while the wood and the flax infuse the food with a beautiful delicate and smoky flavour.

I would find it hard to believe an open pit oven wit green flax would not create a great deal of smoke and was also outlawed as it appears to be a traditional way of cooking. As the reference says "still popular today"

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Tank
    replied

I am sure that there is a treaty of waitangi item that assured people were allowed traditional cooking rights - meaning cooking with fire outside. (Not joking - serious). I know you are not Maori - but the right applies to all. Could be the easiest way to get this thru.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

uk_exile,
    I would delete the word Pizza from your oven in all discussions and simply refer to it as a wood fired oven. You primarily want it to cook in, roasts, breads etc and pizzas are just one thing on an ever expanding list.
    When you light up an oven fire it only smokes for a couple of minutes until it really gets going and then clear chimney emissions, (well mine does anyway).
    If all else fails, then you could experiment by putting into your chimney a small steel barrel type fan and force all smoke and emissions through a water container or heavy misted section of horizontal chimney that would settle all smoke/soot particles, so that no one would even know that you had a fire going.
    I would not give up but keep pressure on the authorities.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X