Your Advice Re: HomeBrew Castable Mix Greatly Appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Advice Re: HomeBrew Castable Mix Greatly Appreciated

As a aside...I have found out that the cf board is and has been used for risers....with and without the ridgidizer with great sucess..... May help with weight if shipping once you get a casting mix. heat riser | Rocket Stoves.. Experimenters corner.. Answers questioned! Perhaps you should ask the casting mixture question there....
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      I also believe that one or two test fires are not sufficient to determine a quality product....but that is an opinion and ideology, and everybody is different. Take that with a grain.....
      We used a mix that was recommended by someone who said it was working fine for them for quite awhile. Another day in the fire yesterday, no cracks detected. With even the commercial bricks with fine cracks developing, how bad can our mix be?

"May help with weight if shipping once you get a casting mix. heat riser | Rocket Stoves.. Experimenters corner.. Answers questioned! Perhaps you should ask the casting mixture question there.... "

I have.

And yes, we like the idea of using the board, again it is a question of cost. 2" ceramic fiber board sells for about $20 a square foot making just the riser in our stove over $200 plus we need the adhesive to hold them together at more cost. For now, we'll cast our own and then use the board aftger we make a few sales. This is virtually a new industry so we'll keep testing.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketStoveBuilder View Post
        We used a mix that was recommended by someone who said it was working fine for them for quite awhile. Another day in the fire yesterday, no cracks detected. With even the commercial bricks with fine cracks developing, how bad can our mix be?
        So you are going to use 3:1:1:1 for commercial production based off a test fire and a one off recommendation, in spite of what is understood about Portland ratios industry wide???? I hope you have a good warranty policy....I'm done with this.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

$8.48 per SqFt here: Ceramic Fiber Board

And much cheaper in bulk, I am sure.

Comment

"So you are going to use 3:1:1:1 for commercial production based off a test fire and a one off recommendation, in spite of what is understood about Portland ratios industry wide???? I hope you have a good warranty policy....I'm done with this."

We are not using Portland cement in our mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              $8.48 per SqFt here: Ceramic Fiber Board

And much cheaper in bulk, I am sure.
              Thanks! Checking now.

Comment

That is a wise move. I wish you well on your mix design, and your venture.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

"So you are going to use 3:1:1:1 for commercial production based off a test fire and a one off recommendation, in spite of what is understood about Portland ratios industry wide???? I hope you have a good warranty policy....I'm done with this."

RocketStoveBuilder, What is your mix? I am wanting to cast a dome out of a homebrew, have heard a few times it works, but am concerned with an explosion...lol... I'd really appreciate your help on gettingthis mix right as I too am a starting a small business (not rocket stoves) and can not afford to invest in a ton of commerical grade refractory cement. All I want to do is build one oven!! Please and thank you.

Ps Love your persistance and bravery!

Comment

Originally posted by kira View Post
                    RocketStoveBuilder, What is your mix? I am wanting to cast a dome out of a homebrew, have heard a few times it works, but am concerned with an explosion...lol... I'd really appreciate your help on gettingthis mix right as I too am a starting a small business (not rocket stoves) and can not afford to invest in a ton of commerical grade refractory cement. All I want to do is build one oven!! Please and thank you.

Ps Love your persistance and bravery!
                    michelevit made a brickless oven on a shoestring (see the thread with that title) using the homebrew mix of 3:1:1:1 of sand, clay, lime and Portland cement.
                    Look further back in this thread, and you will see he is adamant that it works and is robust.
                    If you make sure it has fully dried and heat it very gently at first, giving any water a chance to migrate out slowly, it should not explode.

Comment

thank you michelevit, does anyone know anything about Reno Bond 3000? Ive been told it can be used to cast an oven... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                        michelevit made a brickless oven on a shoestring (see the thread with that title) using the homebrew mix of 3:1:1:1 of sand, clay, lime and Portland cement.
                        Look further back in this thread, and you will see he is adamant that it works and is robust.
                        If you make sure it has fully dried and heat it very gently at first, giving any water a chance to migrate out slowly, it should not explode.
                        Add polypropylene fibres to assist in safer water removal. They melt and burn away leaving a network of tiny pipes that steam can escape through.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by kira View Post
                          RocketStoveBuilder, What is your mix?
                          1:1:1 Fireclay, perlite, fine sand (30/40).

Dry mix.

Add.

3/4 Rutland 211 Refractory mortar. (any similar refractory cement/mortar should work.)

Dry mix.

Start with 3/4 water and check for consistency. After several castings we tend to think more water is better, but the drying time and the slower burn in process takes longer.

This has been working for us. Hope it helps.

Comment

For an oven you want a strong dense mix, not an insulating one, so don't add perlite. The rocket stove application is different.

Comment

Hey all!

Has anyone tested CSA (calcium sulfoaluminate) cements in a high-heat situation? This type of cement is available at the Home Depot under the name "Cement-All"- the bagged mix contain about 50-50 cement/aggregate, plus "air" (unless you are in California) and a low-range superplasticizing agent. Possible other things.
                              Pure CSA can be ordered from most concrete countertop suppliers.
                              Also, why not add pozzolans to the homebrew mix- fly ash, silica fume, metakaolin, etc? Probably could add some strength.
                              I also happen to have on hand hydrous potassium silicate, also known as "water glass". This is used in refractory applications, such as sealing radiators and hot water pipes- the silicate precipitates and is slightly expansive at high temperatures. From what I heard, anyway. 5 gallons costs less than $50.
                              I haven't tested this mix yet, but the following might yield a slightly more durable homebrew castable refractory- not suitable for rocket stoves, kilns, or the like, but possibly good enough for a pizza oven:
                              3 sand
                              1 pea gravel (larger aggregate size gives higher compressive strength)
                              1 fireclay
                              1/2 cementitious

The cementitious consists of 80% OPC, 10% silica fume, and 10% CSA. Too much CSA and the mix will set too fast for most people's comfort level.

I would mix the wet ingredients at 20% potassium silicate to 80% water...

Maybe I'll test it sometime...

I made my oven in the usual way from firebricks, using fireclay/portland mortar, and it's holding up great! I am curious about castable ovens because I think it would be fun to make a little one that could heat up faster and possibly be portable. Also, pretty darn easy and cheap. Why not?

Comment

Calcium sulfoaluminate (CSA) cement is not the same as calcium aluminate cement (CA). The CSA loses around half it's strength when heated to around 300 C, so I don't think it would be suitable. Stick with CA cement, but by all means give it a shot and report back. It may be better than the portland and lime homebrew.
                                Here's a good reference.

http://www.cementchina.net/web/uploa...2794825313.PDF
                                Last edited by david s; 03-17-2014, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X