Dough question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dough question

I'm struggling with my dough....... I'm mixing by weight and all seems to be good however, what is the best way to proof the dough overnight without the crust scaling over? None of the directions i've seem seem to cover this. This past weekend I covered the balls with a damp cloth then the top to my proofing tray and in the fridge. Next day the balls had all grown together.
    with out the damp cloth they scale over.

HELP.

THNAK YOU !
    Thanks,
    Giuseppe
    pizza,pizza!

Re: Dough question

Without your recipe and workflow, it is hard to say exactly, but these are what I use, the metal ones for doughs I am sure to use soon, and the plastic ones if there is any doubt about how long before I use the doughs.

Comment

I bulk proof my pizza dough for 36 hours in the refrigerator in a big plastic bucket with a tight lid. On the morning of the bake, I scale and reball the dough into 350g dough balls, which I place into round plastic lidded containers and put back in the fridge. I pull the containers out 60-90 min before bake time.

Edit: Just like the red-topped containers TScar uses.

Comment

Do you have any trouble with the top skin of the ball drying out?
        I appreciate the responses!!!!
        I made a batch of dough tonight, let rise for 1-1/2 hrs and weight and balled. I put a light coat of olive oil on them =, placed in my plastic proof container and placed in fridge as a trial. will see what it looks like in 24 Hrs.
        Gianni, I will try your method tomorrow eve.
        Thanks,
        Giuseppe
        pizza,pizza!

Comment

None at all. For a baseline, I usually hand mix the dough, then let it do a bulk counter rise for 4-12 hours with a damp cloth, knock it down, then stretch and fold it, divide it into the containers shown and retard them in the fridge just above freezing (around 38-40 degrees) for 12 hours to several weeks. I form the skins directly from the fridge, but my doughs are usually in the range of 65-75% hydration.

Comment

Thanks for additional info.... Nice to know you can keep the dough for a week or two.
            Thanks,
            Giuseppe
            pizza,pizza!

Comment

Be prepared to monkey around with your dough recipe, both hydration levels and percentage of ingredients as well as fermentation schedules. I've found that the hotter I run my oven the more hydration a dough has, the better it bakes before burning. I have been tweaking my dough recipe for close to a year and while the results are generally wonderful, I still think they could be better.

There are tons of experienced guys sharing what they know about dough and their processes at Pizzamaking.com.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                Be prepared to monkey around with your dough recipe, both hydration levels and percentage of ingredients as well as fermentation schedules. I've found that the hotter I run my oven the more hydration a dough has, the better it bakes before burning. I have been tweaking my dough recipe for close to a year and while the results are generally wonderful, I still think they could be better.
                I agree with the higher hydration, I am at about 70% for pizza dough and only do a few stretch and folds over the 3 days in the fridge. I lay a piece of oiled plastic wrap directly over the bulk ball while in the fridge. The dough needs knocked down 2 times each day for the first 2 days. After that it is more stable. I find. The best flavor is at day 3.

I also agree with John, my dough could always be better.
                Chip

Comment

Hey John

you use 350g balls. what size are you stretching your dough too if you were to use a pizza tray. I do mine around 10" and split a 500g mix @ 65% hydration into 3 which makes about 280 - 290 gm balls. SO I guess I am asking thin or thick crust
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                    Hey John

you use 350g balls. what size are you stretching your dough too if you were to use a pizza tray. I do mine around 10" and split a 500g mix @ 65% hydration into 3 which makes about 280 - 290 gm balls. SO I guess I am asking thin or thick crust

Those a big balls, I usually do 200 g balls for about a 14 inch pie. Very thin in the middle and a little lip on the edge. Floor about 650-700 and dome about 850.

Hope this helps. First pie is just aged white cheddar mixed with fine raw garlic and some sea salt to cool the floor a bit. It only takes about 30 seconds for this first one.
                    Chip

Comment

Hey Chip try some kalonji seeds on that, a little diced piquillo peppers . You will be amazed.

I tried 200g balls was stretched way to far at 10" and just a tad thin. interesting John uses 350g@ ??? you 200g@14" I have been doing around 280g@10". Guess we all like it different.

Bloody Fahrenheit, 700f to 371c nice to hear I have to fire oven hard for 3 hours to get a stable over 400c hearth temp

I just tried something in oven moved fire to other side 450c on hearth. Once swopt down no water added drop to
                      380c

trying to find a way to get oven to 400 ish guess I need to chuik in heaps of wood and see what happens.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-06-2014, 11:43 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin, try the semolina test on the floor.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have been using the 'Pizza dough by weight' recipe with results that suit me. With 2/3 caputto 00 and 1/3 stoneground wholemeal it works well. The 275 gram balls suit the recipe and the 10/11" bases are about right for me.

It is all about finding what works for you with what you choose to use and the result that you are looking to achieve.

A bit like beer really, all good, just some better than others.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Things were a little better yesterday although my crust was more dense than airy.
                            I cut my hydration down from 65% to 63%, Bulk proofed in fridge for 16 Hrs, Balled and put in my proofing tray in fridge for two hours, removed from fridge about 1 hr prior to cooking. Balls did not crust over , and had very few issues with tearing the dough while stretching. I'm going to try and cut down the hydration a bit more to try and help with the dough tearing. (not sure if i'm making the correct adjustment or not
                            I'm guessing my dense crust had to do with heat of my oven floor or oven?
                            I had about 950 in the dome and 750 on floor?
                            Thanks,
                            Giuseppe
                            pizza,pizza!

Comment

Ok always let my dough balls rise again before stretching it out. Place in tray s and let sit for half an hour to relax. I then get a light crispy crust. When I used less water I had a lot more t trouble
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X