Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dough question

Originally posted by I am Giuseppe View Post
    Things were a little better yesterday although my crust was more dense than airy.
    I cut my hydration down from 65% to 63%, Bulk proofed in fridge for 16 Hrs, Balled and put in my proofing tray in fridge for two hours, removed from fridge about 1 hr prior to cooking. Balls did not crust over , and had very few issues with tearing the dough while stretching. I'm going to try and cut down the hydration a bit more to try and help with the dough tearing. (not sure if i'm making the correct adjustment or not
    I'm guessing my dense crust had to do with heat of my oven floor or oven?
    I had about 950 in the dome and 750 on floor?
    I do a half size stretch to the ball and then let it set aside for about 5 - 10 minutes, then I do the final stretch. This allows the dough to relax a little and is much less likely to tear at the final size.

This can easily be performed just before making stretching the next pie.

Half stretch a dough
    Final stretch a previously half stretched dough
    Sauce and top.
    Burn it
    Remove from oven cut and serve.
    Half stretch next dough.......repeat.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-07-2014, 09:04 AM.
    Chip

Comment

Chip,

Thanks…. I'm firing the oven shortly an will give it a try. I appreciate the advice.
      Thanks,
      Giuseppe
      pizza,pizza!

Comment

you use 350g balls. what size are you stretching your dough too if you were to use a pizza tray. I do mine around 10" and split a 500g mix @ 65% hydration into 3 which makes about 280 - 290 gm balls. SO I guess I am asking thin or thick crust
        Colin,

Sorry, I was in San Diego for the weekend. I prefer thin crust bottoms, although I like a little larger cornicione so I can taste the bread. I've been able to get a cornicione that's light and crispy with a soft interior, but 20min later it starts to go soft (hmm).

I got tired of making all these little 10-11" pizzas and having them disappear before I could even stretch out the next one. Hence, the 350g balls that hand-stretch out to 14-15". My guess is that others can get a bigger pie with the same size ball, but with my current recipe (I'm using KAAP) the dough starts to tear in the middle when it gets too thin.
        Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

That is about what I use, I aim for 320, and stretch to 14-16"

Comment

Over here in Melbourne. I notice that the bases are stretched and then sat to rise again before being topped. I have tried stretch and top, stretch sit and top and I must say the nicest tasting is the later having sat for about 30 minutes to relax.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
              I do a half size stretch to the ball and then let it set aside for about 5 - 10 minutes, then I do the final stretch. This allows the dough to relax a little and is much less likely to tear at the final size.

This can easily be performed just before making stretching the next pie.

Half stretch a dough
              Final stretch a previously half stretched dough
              Sauce and top.
              Burn it
              Remove from oven cut and serve.
              Half stretch next dough.......repeat.
              I'm having trouble stretching my dough using the FB recipe
              I have been using KAAP and the dough just will not stretch.
              I know you have to let it rest, but when I'm having a pizza party baking 15-20 pies, 10 min is too long for me to wait.
              I'm think about going back to my original
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ld-mexico.html

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                Over here in Melbourne. I notice that the bases are stretched and then sat to rise again before being topped. I have tried stretch and top, stretch sit and top and I must say the nicest tasting is the later having sat for about 30 minutes to relax.
                Agree it works best for me
                I pull the dough out of the fridge, make the bases while cold and let them rise.

Comment

Ok always let my dough balls rise again before stretching it out. Place in tray s and let sit for half an hour to relax. I then get a light crispy crust. When I used less water I had a lot more t trouble
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Colin
                    When you say, let them rest before you stretch them out, do you mean, after you take them out of the fridge?
                    I let my dough balls set on the counter for two hours after removing them from the fridge. I then stretch them out.
                    I do notice my balls are not sticky. Maybe I need more water.
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ld-mexico.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mexman View Post
                      I'm having trouble stretching my dough using the FB recipe
                      I have been using KAAP and the dough just will not stretch.
                      I know you have to let it rest, but when I'm having a pizza party baking 15-20 pies, 10 min is too long for me to wait.
                      I'm think about going back to my original
                      If 10' minutes is to much wait time then partially (pre) stretch 2 or 3 pizzas ahead.

Then the half stretched will be always ready.
                      Chip

Comment

I will add I use rain water
                        Chlorine in town water retards the yeast.

Its massively noticeable on bread.

Comment

I started leaving my (agitated) chlorinated tap water in an open container overnight before using to build sourdough bread and now only use bottled water for my starter and it has made a ton of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                            I started leaving my (agitated) chlorinated tap water in an open container overnight before using to build sourdough bread and now only use bottled water for my starter and it has made a ton of difference.
                            John, Thanks for the hint. I will try that. Btw your seeds started drying today.
                            Chip

Comment

Chip,
                              Way cool. Can't wait to get 'em. Got my plot already earmarked.
                              John

Comment

Hey GF,

I also harvest my heirloom San Maranzo seeds as well, do you want some?
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X