angle iron in FB Pompeii plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: angle iron in FB Pompeii plans

I filled the corners and every second core and all above the opening. Some of the empty cores I used as a time capsule and put in the papers and magazines of the day. Sample food packaging, drink containers and bottles and a note from me in a bottle. I stuffed cement bags down the empty cores so I could fill the top of them as part of the slab.

I figured that someone will demolish this one day and they might be interested in some reminders of days past.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

If you want some strength in the cores then fill them with concrete and reo. Otherwise you can use them to dispose of bottles, cans etc. or just leave them. Normal to fill every second core.

Many years ago when cyclone Althea hit our city there were many cases of buildings that were damaged and it was discovered that the cores were filled with screwed up newspaper except those of the top brick, so it appeared that the cores were filled all the way to the top and it looked like they were tied into the floor. Builders cutting corners to save time and cost and less than perfect building inspections. Self regulation at its finest.
      Last edited by david s; 02-28-2015, 02:31 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Johnny,
        I used Quikrete when I built my WFO. The ready mixed stuff that comes in both 60lb and 80lb bags. The aggregate in their mix is small (less than 1/2 inch) and it filled the voids in the blocks without creating "rock pockets".

Also, I added a quart container's worth of regular portland cement to each 80lb bag when mixing as IMHO the Quikrete runs a bit lean on the mix. The additional cement makes working easier as well as increasing the strength. If you have a ready mix plant near where you live you might ask if they have "broken bags" of cement which they usually sell very inexpensively. They are not broken bags per se but rather the very strong bags used to contain broken bags of cement filled with the spill that comes off the conveyor belt that moves cement to the funnel that loads the ready mix truck. Often these can be purchased for a couple of bucks each and they weigh more than the usual 94lbs (94lbs being one cubic ft of cement).

Hope this helps,
        Wiley

Comment

Thanks all - concrete is what I was planning. Never would have thought to add extra cement to it, probably not a bad idea. I like the "time capsule" ideas too...maybe have the kiddos contribute some special items.
          Currently re-thinking my angle-iron...you've got me thinking about building my own lintel....as usual for me, overthinking too many easy decisions.

Comment

That's the way to go, Johnny. My block walls are full of time capsules, all my concrete mix bags, broken block pieces, old newspapers, Gatorade bottles w/coins and notes......and maybe a beer bottle or three. Other than the corners,filling the walls w/concrete does next to nothing and is a waste of time and money, unless you worry about earthquakes, someone running it over w/a truck, etc. Otherwise, save your money for something that actually makes your oven better, like insulation, heat breaks, etc.
            Last edited by NCMan; 03-01-2015, 06:22 AM.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I was also concerned about the size ? and hence price, of the angle. Seemed overkill and Bunnies were looking at something like $180 for a length that size which was long enough for two pieces to span the opening. So I thought a concrete lintel was the way to go.

I made the formwork up at 190x190 to match the blocks and it was as previously described ? the concrete was poured into the holes in the end blocks and then across the gap between them. The top section was 1600mm overall. I made the formwork out of some melamine boards I had lying around, so there should be a nice smooth finish. I had a single reo bar in each of the vertical ends (as I?d done for every other hole in the blockwork wall) and had 4 bars running across the top each about 40mm from the sides and top.

I did a couple of years as a steel fixer when I wore a younger man?s clothes so I thought it wouldn?t be a problem tying the reo together. It went OK, but damn, those ties are pretty sharp when you?ve cut them back. You hardly know you?ve cut yourself until you see the pools of blood everywhere.

Took about an hour to make the formwork, another to cut and tie the 2 x 3.0m lengths of reo and about an hour to mix and pour the 6 x 20 kilo bags of concrete. Total cost about $50. Covered the whole thing with some tarp when I finished and I hosed some water on it this morning.

The question is now?how long do I leave it before removing the formwork? I?m not likely to get to it before next weekend, so would a week be OK?

Comment

I should think waiting a week would be fine. I think concrete cures most of the way in 7 days, and then completely cures after 28 days. But many folks pull the form before the first week.

I went with something very similar to Wiley's plan - lintel or "bond" blocks with bent rebar thru them and down into the vertical columns on the sides of the openings. Seemed smarter, easier, and cheaper. I got all the rebar cut and shaped and in place today, I guess pouring the concrete to fill the cores will have to wait until next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X