First Oven Venture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Oven Venture

So I know there is a ton of information in the forum about foundations and footers. After reading it all I'm still a bit confused. Some say build a footer and other say do not. The building department is confused as to if I even need a permit for the project. So here are some details to begin.

I'm in Norther Virginia and the frost depth is 18" officially however, I'm told it's better to be at 24" as winters here very greatly for severity. I'm in the planning phases right now and want to build a 42" oven. so here are my questions.

1. If I dig a footer does the entire "slab" have to be 24" deep or just a parameter (can I leave a column of dirt in the middle)?

2. If I pour a footer and build up with cinder block from the footer should I mortar and fill the cores or can I dry stack it and then fill the cores?

3. Does the cinder block need to be treated with any surface coating like a foundation wall would be painted?

Thanks in advance and I'm excited to get the project started if the rain ever stops and the clay decided to allow the water to drain away a bit.

Jason

Re: First Oven Venture

Just the perimeter should be excavated to 24" in this case and then footings poured to roughly ground level. you will need at least 3 x 3/8" rebar runs at 8" levels in the footing. Then the slab rests on the footings and a sand base inside the footings, use 3/8" rebar on 12" centers for the slab. Then, i would dry stack cmu's to the desired height and fill every other core and use rebar in the cores that you fill to connect to the slab that will hold your oven. I would not use cmu below ground because of the moisture and freeze/thaw cycle. they are very pourous and will hold water and sealing is a pain and would have to be maintained. Also, keep in mind what if any veneer layer you may want on your base to cover the cmu; you may need a wider footing if you are planning to brick it for instance.

If you can, post some pics of your build site and a sketch of your plan. Pics always help here so you get the best guidance.
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

We'll I just went though the same ordeal with my local building department, and they finally said I did not need a permit. That really kinda shocked me. They seem to want a permit for everything. If you have a lot of clay in your soil then you should do the footing. At least you only have to do 18-24". If I do footings I have to go down at least 48". And I am planning to take a calculated risk as I live in an area of all sand and gravel so I plan to not do a footing and just do slab on grade. With lots of 1/2" rebar and at least 6" thick.

Good luck with your build. There are lots of people here that can give you great advice.

Randy

Comment

So after a lot more research and more and more digging though forums and talking with building inspectors and contractor friends I am doing the footing as a perimeter footing with an integrated slab for there the wood will be stored. I was advised I should dig the center down at least 10 inches and put 6" of gravel and and the base the wood would be stacked could be 4" thick and reinforced. My friends also agreed no CMU below grade as it WILL heave even if tied to the footers so they suggested a 20" wide base footer that's 10" deep. That's going to be a lot of concrete mixing

Still if I'm investing all this time, sweat, tear and a lot more blood then I want it to be solid and lasting. So tomorrow me and my shovel are going to become friends I think. I cannot even rent a little backhoe, too many obstructions and utilities.

Finally, where is a good place to post my progress on my build. I like how you all document your builds. It's helpful.

Comment

I live in PA and our frost line is 24". Code requires footers to be 36" deep. I put down a monolithic slab (suggestion from the zoning guy) which had footers running down the sides only (not in front or back). Slab between the footers was supported by 8" crushed/compacted gravel. And of course rebar running all over. I think my slab was 6" thick.

I prepared the hole and forms, then paid a concrete truck to deliver. I think it was two full cubic yards. that works out to almost 100x 80lb bags. It would have been way too much to mix by hand. Another advantage of getting concrete delivered is you get a much stronger/consistent mix.

I mixed the concrete for the hearth slab by hand....that was like 25 bags (more than enough for me.

Comment

You should look in to short load concrete company's you can get 1-2 yards and it might be on a trailer so you can get it nice and close. I am thinking of doing this so I don't have to mix so much by hand.

As to where to put your build thread mine is in the Pompeii construction area.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
              You should look in to short load concrete company's you can get 1-2 yards and it might be on a trailer so you can get it nice and close. I am thinking of doing this so I don't have to mix so much by hand.

As to where to put your build thread mine is in the Pompeii construction area.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.

Randy
              Randy,

Broadway rental, just south of 694 has 1.5 yard trailers of ready mix. Not sure what they charge and you will need a truck with a 2 inch ball and a good hitch. But cheaper than short load delivery prices I am sure. And they are not far from Maple Grove.
              Chip

Comment

Yeah I was planning on talking with them to see what they charge for a batch. I don't really want to hand mix all of the cement. I have a 2" ball for my jeep and it is rated to pull 4500 # so I think it will pull it.

Thanks Randy

Comment

Working...
                X