where to get materials in Brisbane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to get materials in Brisbane

Just getting started and having some difficulty sourcing fire bricks, vermiculite, insulation blanket, fire clay etc in Brisbane. Any Brisbane oven builders that can direct me?
    Also, have a 100 litre bag of pumice stone - varying particle size. Would this be ok instead of vermiculite?
    Thanks.

Re: where to get materials in Brisbane

Mieno,
    Im surprised no-one responded.
    Mate I've dug up the following, just in case:
    Pottery Supplies Homepage. ph 33682877. They're at Milton.
    I was quoted the following: (grades unspecified):-
    7.6m x610 of ceramic insulation, $145.
    25kg of cement fondue, $86.
    We lit the first of the curing fires tonight: awesome. Wish I knew how to post images, because it really is so gratifying to see one's creation come to life and breathe.
    btw, we stayed low-tech. I won't bore you with detail. Your pumice would be ideal as a component in foundation concrete. You'll possibly need a couple of bags of vermiculite ($20-27 per 100L bag here in Bundy. Try your nursery suppliers, and DON'T believe any Einstein floor walker who claims 5L bags are standard issue.
    Gopher mate: all good. And minor blemishes can be fixed/ignored, eh.
    Jeff.

Comment

Thanks Jeff.
      What size is your oven? I originally started reading "Build your own earth oven" by Kiko Denzer and then stumbled across this site. The efficiency and longevity of brick has swayed me over earth ovens. This book however suggests a 27" or say 700mm cooking floor diameter is quite sizable especially for the once a week bake off. What do you and others think? My foundation is limited to 1200 mm wide but I can still overhang a slab to allow for a bigger oven. Thanks in advance.
      Mieno

Comment

Mieno,
        That's scary: Kiko Denzer was my first read also. In fact, his book [library loan, eh], is beside me as I chook-pick the keyboard.
        Then came Russell Jeavon's little gem, "Your Brick Oven". The man is a crow-eater, but an exceptional one. (In fact honorary Cane Toad title may yet be offered.)
        Along the way, from "Kiln Building" [Ian Gregory] to "Stuffing Stray Cats" [Anon], I was offered FornoBravo site by a local brick manufacturer. They also offered a Brisbane feller, who's address I'll try to find for you later.
        But to answer your question, the plan was for 27". Things, (mainly FB), persuaded me to add a few inches, but I abused my brick gauge, so 30" grew to 31", while dome height went from 440 to 500. (Sorry to mix systems. God alone would know why our Cousins stick with semi-Imperial measures.)
        Mieno, I've tried to stick with standard oven ratios, but have strayed a fair bit wrt materials and timing (of firing). Only time will tell, but rest assured I have found it a brilliant exercise.
        Best I stop.
        May your Christmas be fine, and 2008 fantastic.
        Jeff.

Comment

Mieno,
          Type in - traditionalovens.com - and see what happens. Rado seems to use esl, and once that is accepted, all is good.
          IF you hit a snag, give us a bell. Otherwise, Mary Christmas.Jeff.

Comment

Jeff
            Is the vermiculite/cement layer fairly strong? The vermiculite itself is very soft and cement alone is not that strong. I guess it must be strong enough to support the oven as this is what is recommended.
            Also, did you use tapered fire bricks for the dome? If so, can you remember their mesurements so I can check against the ones I am looking at?
            Thanks.
            Paul

Comment

G'day Paul.
              The insulating mix is brittle, but as it carries a static load, I see no problem.
              Couldn't get fire bricks, but the local brickworks assured me that pale, solid bricks (seconds @ 45cents each) would be fine. They also supplied about30kg of grog thatI used in the mortar.
              Mate I'm a rank outsider wrt bricks and mortar, but I'm happy as can be with the project so far.Will add dome insulation after New Year.Have cooked pork,ham, veges and bread so far, but no pizza yet.
              Regards,
              Jeff.

Comment

Jeff
                How do the earth ovens go - have you heard how they compare to brick?
                They do seem a lot less work!
                Mieno

Comment

Mieno,
                  You seem like a human.
                  So try 41561049. Fukit, I deplore this shit, but there you went!!
                  teach.

Comment

Mieno,
                    Did 'Traditional ovens ' do you any favours?
                    The bloke who runs it (N Brissy), seems well regarded. Mate, his speech profile shows him as a Wog, so you'll be in good hands, eh.
                    teach.

Comment

Hear from you soon: maybe you'll leave your No?
                      cause I probly won't pick up the phone.
                      teach.

Comment

HI Guys
                        I too am from Brisbane, well Green bank, and am looking at building my oven. Have you guys got your up and running and did you get all the materials locally?
                        Thanks
                        ROB

Comment

Hello Rob
                          I'm in Burpengary and currently building. I got the firebricks from Claypave Darra and the insulation, flue and door from Total Refractory Management at Slacks Creek. Hope this helps
                          Glen

Comment

HI
                            Thanks Glen
                            Thats exaxtly what I was after.
                            Now to make a start!
                            Downloaded the plan, picked the spot and have the bosses OK, just need to make a start.
                            I would be keen to see pictures of your build as you go.
                            Thanks
                            Rob

Comment

HI
                              Thanks Glen, Exactly what I was looking for.
                              Have the spot picked in the yard, the wife's permission, just need to make a start.
                              I would be keen to see pictures of yours as you go.
                              Thanks
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X