Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Score !!!!

Broken cookie,
    I think you're right. Probably not a good idea to build on the drain field, unless you are at the far end of the diffusion pipes. I just went through a failed drain field a year ago. What a pain in the butt!
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Versachi View Post
      Ya that is one great find! Many here could only wish we had your luck! Way to go!! With All of those "discount" bricks you may want to consider making your oven bigger than 36". I have a 42" and I don't think there is one member here (including me) with a 40+" oven that wishes it was smaller!

Cheers, Versachi
      If you have room for that extra foot I would agree - go 42"
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Somebody up there likes me !!

Today I added to my growing pile of materials. I found someone to sell me 102 CMUs ( cinderblocks) for $50. When I arrived I found that he was a mason who needed to have a lot of things sold because he was moving. Not only did he load up 75 CMUs in my poor old truck. He gave me 2 buckets of Heat-Stop mortar (pre-mixed, but I can use it for some of the non-critical spots).
        When I go back tomorrow to pick up the rest he is giving me an additional 100 turn of the century hand made bricks and about 20 more firebricks (like I really needed those ).

The only thing holding me back now is the septic location, the weather, and the wife who wants me to finish remodeling the bathroom before I start another project
        I picked up the HFT brick saw Sunday for $189 with the extended replacement warrenty for $19. Hard to go wrong with that kind of deal.
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

You're good to go. If memory serves, the premix Heatstop is water soluble, which may pose a problem. Others, please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're interested, I have two 4 cu. ft. bags of Perlite and 80% of a 4 cu. ft. bag of vermiculte left over, plus 2ish bags of fire clay and 2 bags of lime that I can give you a good deal on. Send me a private message if you want them.

George
          GJBingham

-

Comment

BROKENCOOKIE
            Always love to hear the story behind a name.
            In a weak moment, I revealed a nick-name to Inish, in an attempt to explain my unsavoury use of English.
            Mate you'll be able to open a demolitian yard soon, the way goods are coming in......
            BTW, my daughter still maintains her brother is adopted, even after 30 years. I reckon they're both flamin adapted, as they exhibit none of my personality defects, eh. Alas, their physical pecularities give the lie to thatoor buggers. Sigh.
            Happy building BestestCoolest.
            Jeff the Luddite.

Comment

I finally took a close look at some of my extras. The mortar is not heat -stop. It is a brand name called Sairset. The spec sheet says its good to 1900 degress (C) and is 43 % alumina. Has anyone used this particular product ?

Comment

BestestCoolest,
                You've offered a metric measerement on a good ole US of A site.
                Is the Pacific NW immune, or do you plan to emigrate? And if so, what becomes of your oven?
                Be careful eh my friend. Even I live in fear.
                Stop.
                Jeff the Confuse'ed.

Comment

Ahh, Jeffy. Welcome back! Missed your comments lately! Another good laugh
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

1900 C = 3452 F = 3912 Rankine = 2173 Kelvin

Comment

Not to forget the old French reaumur which is 1520 degrees. Only of interest because just about the only people to use it are the Italians.

Comment

Inish.
                        Absolutely.
                        Jeff.

Comment

Jeff,
                          Huh?
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                            BestestCoolest,
                            You've offered a metric measerement on a good ole US of A site.
                            Jeff the Confuse'ed.
                            I run the laboratory in an oil refinery. Everything measured in the lab is generally in metric. We then have to translate all the data into english units for the operators. We then have to translate into the really archaric units for the oil industry. ( lbs of salt per 1000 bbls or API gravity) So I guess I am bi-unit or maybe bi-scale, or just horibly confused. ( not to be confused with bi anything else )

BestestCoolest,
                            Is the Pacific NW immune, or do you plan to emigrate?
                            Jeff the Confuse'ed.
                            As far as emigrating. Nope.. I would love to visit other places, but I moved to the pacific NW because I love rain and clouds. In the middle of the US you get lots of bugs, no mountains and tornados. In the south, lots of bugs and hurricanes. In the NE, horible humity, hurricanes and tons of snow. If I emigrated to your neck of the woods I would have to spend 3 years learning the local dialect so I could avoid asking for your daughter's hand in marriage when I really just wanted a tall cool one.

BestestCoolest,
                            And if so, what becomes of your oven?
                            Jeff the Confuse'ed.
                            In the beautiful Pacific NW, 2 or 3 bugs ( slugs, wasps and a few spiders). A varied and beautiful forest. Snow arrives for about a week. Just long enough to enjoy, not long enough to become a pain. The only large hazards are earthquakes and volcanos. I grew up in San Diego / LA so earthquakes are no big deal.
                            Just a little extra engineering so that when the earthquakes and volcanos take out my power, My pizza oven will still be standing I'm thinking that (when I get it done) my oven will stand until the day I die and maybe I can be cremated in it !!!
                            Last edited by brokencookie; 02-14-2008, 11:35 PM.

Comment

"...my oven will stand until the day I die and maybe I can be cremated in it !!!"

Now there's a cool idea! I wonder if my family would go for it?
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Just wait until your inside the dome cleaning mortar joints. You get a few visions of the bricks just crumbling in on you while your in there. Can you imagine (you probably will while your inside) a big earthquake just at that moment? I sure did!

Hope your oven doesn't stand only till the moment you die
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X