Fire brick group buy in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire brick group buy in UK

Ive got some bricks left over. If anyone is interested then please PM me. I don't check the email every day so please be patient with me...

Some will be available in Yorkshire if there are any Northern builders around.

Comment

Martin,

How would you like to about this. I know you have enough bricks for a number of ovens.

Can you let us know where you are located, how much they will cost, and if you have ideas on how to ship them around the region. Also, let us know when you find homes for them and how many are left at various times.

This is a very good opportunity for our UK builders, and we want to help make sure it works out.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi James,

Many thanks. I have now arranged the bricks to be shipped to S.Yorkshire and Salisbury (i.e. North of England and Southern England). They have arrived, but I don't yet have numbers on how many good bricks I have. I think its around 800. The damaged bricks have been put to one side and are available free of charge to buyers (I understand we can crush these and use them as fireclay?).

I picked up some history too. The bricks were bought from a local manufacturer in the late 90s who had stopped producing them. They were bought to reline an aluminium smelting furnace. Company policy stopped the company from running the furnace and it is now a scrapyard. The old furnace bricks were all smashed up and used as hardcore in the yard (which I saw). The new bricks were all stored separately in the yard and look good except for the odd bit of algae/dirt which will wash off. Most of them are building brick size, but there are a few which are the thickness of block pavers. He also had 100 used bricks from the old furnace, but I left these because I wasn't interested in used bricks (they were stained and a different colour) because they contain all sorts of chemicals. I hope to be able to get you quantities, sizes and photos tomorrow. Shipping will be down to the individual but I am happy to help as far as I can.

The bricks weighed over 4 tonne so cost me quite a lot of money to transport. I would be looking at 80p-?1 each to cover my costs (accounting for transport and damaged bricks). If anyone wants any, then please PM me. The cheapest I could find them for was ?1.60 + VAT + ?35 shipping.

Thanks
        AMNAP

Comment

Thanks Martin,

I want to note that Martin went out on a limb and bought these, so let's keep this thread alive until he's sold them all -- and he can clean out his side garden!

I think we have all the details listed here, but to reiterated. We have about 600-650 good quality, new firebricks (enough for about 4 more ovens) available in Salisbury for pickup (or delivery if you can work it out) for 80p-?1/each. This is a very good price, and it just covers Martin's cost (not to mention his time and energy).

Sounds like four ovens just waiting to be built.

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Many thanks for your support.

1/2 the bricks are in Doncaster and 1/2 in Salisbury which I positioned intentionally to assist my fellow oven builders in the North of England. I have 4 weeks to get rid of them in Doncaster, otherwise my sister will disown me. I will post photos soon, after I have pressure washed them to get them all sparkly.

Cheers
            Martin

Comment

The bricks cleaned up great. There are 106 of the thinner bricks (62mm) and the rest are 74mm thick. The thinner bricks are on the left of the first photo attachment, the 74mm bricks are on the right. The bricks in the photo are a selection of the bricks I have at my sister's in Doncaster; I only have 74mm bricks in Salisbury.

I have a pile of damaged bricks too which would make great wedges etc, and these are available free with a purchase.

I have looked hard to buy bricks at a reasonable price and was keen for a group buy so we can all get a good deal. I took a risk by paying for the group buy before any confirmed orders, so I welcome your support. I am happy to sell these spare bricks at 95p for the 74mm bricks and 85p for the 62mm bricks, where I expect to break even. The bricks are as good as new, and are unused. Please let me know ASAP if you are interested.

Thanks
              Martin

Comment

GREAT! - I am interested in those bricks!

I am looking to build a pizza oven, based on the plans on this web site, but like every one here in the UK have struggled to get bricks at a reasonable price, so this is good news for me.

I am in Kent and would plan to drive over to pick up the bricks - how many of the 74mm bricks would be needed for a standard 1mtr oven?

definitely a beer, or two, in this for Martin.

Brad

Comment

I found a few companies that will supply brick in UK:
                  Furness Brick & Tile Ltd
                  Dudley designs - Also cement and castable mixes
                  Purimachos
                  Hansworth
                  Adamant

Have a search, as said before the delivery can be the killer but some of these are fixed prices, though distance also is a factor, so check for a local option.
                  kitsonsthermal Insulation Products - Kitsons Thermal Insulation Supplies[/url] look possible too.

Could someone do a contact list for UK??

Comment

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the post. I've sent you a PM. I'm not sure about the qty of bricks, its probably best to download the plans from the links on this site and scale accordingly. The bricks are going fast (thanks to all) so you will need to be quick. Just a warning, the bricks are 4.5kg each. A family car can handle about 600kg. Otherwise look at palletline (approx 1 tonne) or rent a van from van3000, who I think are brokers for Europvan/car.

For those who have contacted me - there is a problem with my BT line but they promise to fix it tomorrow. Otherwise PM me and i'll call you back.

James - thanks again for your help.

Cheers
                    Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

I want to buy 200 bricks - the quickest I can get to you will probably be next weekend - bank holiday - will this work for you?

did not get that PM, by the way.

Brad

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their interest. 4 people have confirmed their orders and I have allocated bricks for them. This leaves me with 100 large bricks left in Salisbury and 81 smaller bricks in Doncaster. If anyone is interested please let me know. Apologies to Brad and Figman, you were pipped at the post, but I still have 100 left if you want them. The 81 smaller bricks would be ideal for a base, with engineer bricks for the dome (not as robust as firebricks all round, but a cheaper solution).

It shows us all that bulk buying works. I would recommend that fellow builders try and do something like this again in the future. There is clearly a strong demand (but its hard work lugging tonnes of bricks around the country!).

Its a good business opportunity for someone to source bricks, buy fireclay, source inflatable balls (for the mould) and sell them as kits - as long as the price is reasonable. Is there anyone out there who would be interested in this? It may be worthwhile contacting James to discuss.

Thanks again to everyone. Happy building!
                        Cheers
                        Martin

Comment

I can confirm these are good bricks - and thanks to Martin !

I've picked up about 110 mixed large and small today, and my Saab 9-3 was errrrrr at its limit !!!

I think Clayman is a good source for fireclay - I'll be ordering tomorrow so I'll keep people posted.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Hi Martin,

I would like to buy the remaining 100 large bricks - with a pick up over this bank holiday - to secure this i could transfer the payment into your bank accout.

Brad

Comment

just like to say thanks to martin pick up 150 bricks from salisbury excellent condition and a great deal max540

Comment

Big Thank-you to Martin!

I picked up the 100 bricks last Friday in my BMW 330CD sport diesel. With the tire pressure set for a max load the car was not bothered with the extra load, in spite of my driving. Got to say this car has taken such a hammering, and has taken everything I have thrown at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X