Fire brick group buy in UK - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

No announcement yet.

Fire brick group buy in UK

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire brick group buy in UK

I've been thinking of building a pizza oven for some months now. I am ready to go, but the price of the bricks is pretty high in the UK. The cheapest I can find them for is ?1.60 each +?35 shipping. I reckon I need at least 200 bricks, which makes this a project difficult to slip under the Mrs' radar.

I emailed a supplier and they advised "So, while a lower alumina content
    brick is somewhat cheaper to produce most of the cost these days is in
    shipping from China, India or Russia. No-one actually imports these
    bricks because its easier to have one brick which can be used in every

If we get a group of us together we can either encourage an importer to ship them in, or email China and get them to email us direct. Is anyone else interested in a group buy to collect from Southampton or Salisbury?

Re: Fire brick group buy in UK

China? We don't need no Far Easterners. The USA is becoming the new third world with our currency in the toilet. They are under a buck retail here in New Jersey:

Or you can see a list of manufacturers here:

ThomasNet? - Category Search Results: Product/Service

I see at least 4 firebrick manufacturers in eastern PA, which is brick country nearest to the atlantic ports. It's worth a few emails to find out what quantities they would need to do an export order.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

.....or a nice road trip to France or Italy. Save money, have a great 3 - 4 day weekend!
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

Welcome ........there are a few UK builders on site that can probably point you in the right direction. E.bay uk is a great source of material or reclamation yards. Try this Sheffield company that specialize in new or reclaimed refractory materials and fire bricks.

The place I got my bricks actually produces them... in Germany, but thats closer than China or the states anyway. They're not the cheapest around, but they are exactly what you're looking for - might be worthwhile if you go for the weekend trip version...

Kandern Feuerfest GmbH

The homepage isn't all that informative, but if you're interested I can give you more info and/or translation services.

But check out Inishtas idea first, sounds like like a good advice.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

I just priced out brick on Monday (3/3/08) & was quoted $1.80 ea from a proper masonry supply yard here in VT. With energy cost spiraling the way they are I wouldn't be surprised if that is a large part of the cost these days.

Thanks to Dusty, I was able to get mine from a wholeseller at .30 each. Unbelievable!.
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:

May I know from where I can get Fiure bricks to build pizza oven or ready-made pizza oven in the reasonable price. Let me know any shop or market in UK from where I purchase.

Check out these two sites for locations offering firebrick in the U.S.

:: Whitacre Greer ::
                  Rumford Dealers

Bricks come up from time to time on EBay, I got a quote for ?0.25 a brick which seemed excellent. The bricks came from a hop oven and they had loads of them.

Alternatively, keep your eye open for old storage heaters which is what I am doing, though as the brick is an odd shape I am preparing myself to have to do some extra cutting.

All depends how much of a rush you're in.

Hi All

Just Started building my brick oven -went for Engineering grade B bricks for most of it (22p each) but just picked up the fire bricks for the oven base from handforth refectories (?2 each inc). Just had a few questions:

-wondered if anyone knew a good source for vermiculite/perlite (in the North west of the UK)
                      -I have a spare roll of loft insulation knocking about, is a safe use for it in insulating the oven (instead of/as well as vermiculite.
                      -wondered if anyone had any recipes for more heat resistant mortar mix (using ingredient available from B&Q etc or clay - I have very clayey soil).

sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

For vermiculite I looked round a lot of builders merchants, and the cheapest was Travis Perkins at just over ?7 for a 100 litre sack. A couple of others were around the ?10 mark, so shop around! The brand name I ended up with was 'Silvaperl' - you'll also find 'Micafil' at some places. Be careful not to get the silcone coated stuff (I didn't find any, but was warned) as it doesn't work well in vermiculite concrete...

Cheers Carl
                          sigpic "Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"

I plan on buying the 1000 bricks on ebay and am happy to share them out because I won't need them all. Let me know if you are interested. I may be able to drop off on route from Derbyshire to Salisbury.

Dear AMNAP,

I would be interested in some of the bricks. I would like to line my entire oven in refractory bricks, so ideally I would like 110 bricks if available. Failing this I would like to at least line the base of my oven in fire bricks so I would like a minimum of 60.

I?m in East Sussex, just east of Lewes, so not really on route from Derbyshire to Salisbury. Please let me know what you have available and a cost, and I can then try to arrange transport etc.

Many thanks

PS I bet our hosts can?t believe what we have to pay for a fire brick in the UK, ?2 to ?3 each, approximately $3.95 to $5.90 each on today?s exchange rates!!