Door opening questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door opening questions

Just starting to plan an oven build this coming spring. I came across this roughly 150 yr old cast iron warming oven door that I'd like to use on my oven(see pic). It is 12" tall and 16" wide. I want to insert this door into a wood frame that would extend the width to cover the opening and add an arch to the top. Is there an issue with building the opening the proper size (I plan on buiilding a 36-40" diameter oven so door opening 12" high X 19" wide and then make the vent arch etc larger to accomodate this door? It would result in a 2-3" door jam instead of a 1". Thanks.
    Marc

Can't see that the reveal or door jamb size makes a difference. As long as it's big enough to fit your door up against. But a cast iron door in a wooden frame? The cast iron itself will transfer enough heat to burn the wood, assuming you are using it to keep the heat in after a pizza session. If it's just to keep the rain out, then it's a lovely looking door.

I guess there could be three type of doors.

One to keep the very high heat in after pizzas for the following evening's cooking. That needs to be very heat resistant. Could be just Hebel blocks cut to fit. Ugly as sin but efficient.

Another to keep medium temps that following evening - I'be got an old glass fronted door from a wood burning stove for that. Handy to check how things are looking.

And maybe a third to keep the weather out and looks good. And, gee, yours will look good.

Comment

Wozza, thanks for the reply. I had planned on an insulation layer of ceramic fiber and sheet metal of some sort probably painted with high temp paint to cover all the wood exposed to the internal part of the oven. If that is still not enough, I may end up with two doors, one for the high heat and this one for the two other purposes.

Comment

Working...
      X