Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing CAD files of 42" Pompeii Tuscan oven build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    Nice look. Making the wings flush with the front of a rectangular hearth will give quite a bit of depth - maybe even room for vertical storage if you want. Are you going to put a roof over it for cooking in the inclement weather? We wanted an outdoor eating area, and here in the Pacific Northwest that pretty much means having a covered space.
    I have a large deck attached to the back of my house. I thought I'd make the oven, enclosure and the two wings the same width as the end of my deck. The deck floor is only about 12" off the ground, so I thought I could butt the oven and wings right up to the edge of the deck. I really don't want a roof over the area. I grill out now year round in all kinds of weather (even in deep snow). I'd be the same with a wood oven. And I have a 3-season room right next to the deck where folks can eat if it's raining (you step out of this to the deck area).

Comment

Sounds like you are all set. I was wondering about a cover because I built a cad shelter to get an idea of how much room our oven was going to take up. When I finish recreating my oven files I'll re-upload with one where you can play with all the various parts of the oven to get your sizing right. You will just need to delete the corner hearth and add your rectangle and wings. If you orient the hearth along the oven centerline you can play with fore-aft positioning to insure the hearth is big enough for the landing size you want.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Did some more work on my model. Added side views of my vent arch and created a few solid views. Happy to answer any questions anybody has on how to tweak the model to fit their potential designs, as well as help using Freecad (to the extent I can)
        Attached Files
        My build thread

Comment

Sounds like you are all set. I was wondering about a cover because I built a cad shelter to get an idea of how much room our oven was going to take up. When I finish recreating my oven files I'll re-upload with one where you can play with all the various parts of the oven to get your sizing right. You will just need to delete the corner hearth and add your rectangle and wings. If you orient the hearth along the oven centerline you can play with fore-aft positioning to insure the hearth is big enough for the landing size you want.
          You guys are way ahead of me. I just kinda winged my whole build. I thought about it a lot but no real plans. As for how big it is a framed it up when my wife was gone one weekend and when she got home she was like are you building a house back there? I did not know it was going to be that big. So useing cad to show how big it is sounds like a great idea.
          Last edited by RandyJ; 01-22-2016, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Did some more work on my model. Added side views of my vent arch and created a few solid views. Happy to answer any questions anybody has on how to tweak the model to fit their potential designs, as well as help using Freecad (to the extent I can)

I downloaded the file and opened it in FreeCAD with the draft workbench. I would like to adapt your 39" CAD plan to a 42" oven that I want to build. Could you help me understand how to get started doing that? I was hoping to edit your model attributes but I'm a newbie with FreeCAD. Would you do this from the Draft workbench? Or how would you suggest I best do this. I'm tying to kill two birds with one stone here. I want to learn how to use FreeCAD (mostly using YouTube videos) and I thought a fun "real world" way to do this, would be to practice on your FreeCAD file. Can you help me take my first baby-step here :-)

I don't want someone to do this for me, because I want to learn to do this myself (I tell you this so you don't think I'm trying to get you to do this work for me :-)
            Last edited by JABF99; 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I'd be glad to help! I do most of my work in the part design workbench. If you look at my file in model view, I used descriptive names for each "feature" (Inner diameter and outer diameter for the firebrick dome, blanket for the insulation, etc) and you can show/hide each one by selecting with single click and hitting the spacebar. If you double click on one it opens it for editing. I would start with getting the dome set for your 42" size. Double click on inner diameter and change the 19.5 to 21 for a 42" ID (you need to change your units to inch if you have not done it yet). Change the rest of the things I circled in yellow and you are ready to edit the inner arch dimensions (height and width) for your oven size. Then I can show you how to determine where to place the inner arch with respect to the center of the oven. I was not smart enough to lock the dimensions together between the top and side views so you have to change the dome dimensions twice. You will also want to change the corner "diamond" to a rectangle. After you get the dome resized with insulation and "shell" you can size your hearth for how much room you want on the sides and front/back. My design is for an igloo, so if you want to build a dog house you can add that in later.
              My build thread

Comment

This is the file I used to see how an oven would fit on my patio and to get an idea of what a shelter might look like. It was also my first attempt at using the Arch workbench, so it is kind of "clumsy", but maybe it will give you some ideas.
                Attached Files
                My build thread

Comment

I'd be glad to help! I do most of my work in the part design workbench. If you look at my file in model view, I used descriptive names for each "feature" (Inner diameter and outer diameter for the firebrick dome, blanket for the insulation, etc) and you can show/hide each one by selecting with single click and hitting the spacebar. If you double click on one it opens it for editing. I would start with getting the dome set for your 42" size. Double click on inner diameter and change the 19.5 to 21 for a 42" ID (you need to change your units to inch if you have not done it yet). Change the rest of the things I circled in yellow and you are ready to edit the inner arch dimensions (height and width) for your oven size. Then I can show you how to determine where to place the inner arch with respect to the center of the oven. I was not smart enough to lock the dimensions together between the top and side views so you have to change the dome dimensions twice. You will also want to change the corner "diamond" to a rectangle. After you get the dome resized with insulation and "shell" you can size your hearth for how much room you want on the sides and front/back. My design is for an igloo, so if you want to build a dog house you can add that in later.

The files are an amazing help and I've begun editing the dimensions to what I want to build. This has also helped me as I begin to learn how to use FreeCAD. Even the file you sent regarding the shelter/deck area was helpful. I can't thank you enough.
                  Last edited by JABF99; 01-25-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

No problem. They say you really learn something when you try to teach it, so this is helping me too. Just let me know next time you are stuck. You will find the "save picture" under tools helpful too, when you want to illustrate a point in a post. It takes a snapshot of whatever is visible in the drawing window.
                    My build thread

Comment

Working...
                    X