Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation thickness: are 2" board + 3" blanket enough for 850F (and more questions)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation thickness: are 2" board + 3" blanket enough for 850F (and more questions)?

Hello,

I searched and searched. Apologies if I had missed something obvious. There are many options for insulation, it seems. I want to build a 36" Pompeii. This is for the home, occasional weekend parties. I imagine we'd want to get it as hot as 850F? Instructions suggest 2" insulating ceramic fiber board, and 3" layer 1" ceramic blanket. I'll mesh/stucco over that

Is this sufficient to achieve 850F+ (or should I be using more insulation in either floor or walls)?
    Why do people combine other types of insulation with this approach?
    Should I be trying to figure out if there are better options (bang/buck)?
    Should I be worried about health concerns of the ceramic insulation post build (maybe if my seams on the inside aren't tight enough, etc)? In other words, should I do something (foil?) between the dome and the blanket?

PS. (It actually occurred to me that these blankets should not be compressed, so I am a bit confused about what happens when you stucco over them? You just use heavy, not very sparse mesh?)

Thank you very much, and sorry for many questions.

You can render straight onto the blanket, but it tends to be a bit spongey to work against. I find the main problem is that the shape is somewhat lumpy so to compensate the outer render then has to become really thick to get a nice smooth dome surface, unless you like that Fred Flintstone look.I prefer to add a layer of vermicrete over the blanket to get a nice even surface. The stuff goes harder than the blanket and is easier to render a nice thin shell against.The vermicrete is also a good insulator although not as good as blanket, but you can use two layers of blanket and then vermicrete for adequate insulation.
    Last edited by david s; 02-23-2016, 04:43 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You are going to want more insulation under your floor if you want your oven to stay hot for days. Check out RandyJ's recent posts about oven temperatures. Folks with 4-6" of insulation under their floors are seeing some very impressive heat retention and are able to slow cook several meals after firing for bread or pizza.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thank you! So I'd do insulation, lath, vermicrete, then stucco?

It looks like insulation I want (I saw another thread when searching for RandyJ) is 4" bottom, 3.5" sides/top. On the bottom, I assume I can just stack two 2" boards (making sure to avoid having seams going in the same direction). Does that sound about right?

Comment

Stacking is fine. Most people stagger the joints, which is what I did - not sure how much it mattered but seemed like the thing to do. I ended up with 5" of board but that was what worked out best for me. I built a 39" ID oven, so with the 4.5" thick dome I had a 48" footprint. I used Insblok 19, and 2 cases of 2.5 fit almost perfectly with little wastage and only a few small pieces here and there. I was probably going to go with 4" but changed my mind after doing a layout. For the product I bought, you get different number of 12'X36" boards depending on thickness - 2.5 inch had 5 to a case so 10 boards fit well, had very little wastage and gave me the 5" height. I hope to use my heat for several days of cooking - time will tell. I plan on usig the little bit of left over board to insulate my door.
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Yeah I ran the boards in different directions so as to not have gaps in the insulation. I used the 2"thick board from McGills warehouse. It seams to do a great job and was the cheapest price I could find.

Randy

Comment

Working...
            X