No announcement yet.

My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi recovering from a car crash so build was put on hold. Back on it now taught my self how to polish granite it came out ok finished outer arch and chimney base going to point old stocks later this week.
    Does anyone know max temp of their stainless flue .Im going to make a small stainless roof then felt but the silicone boot flashing has a max temp of 230 deg c..Has anyone pointed their temp gun at flu?
    thanks in advance.

Comment

I was wondering how you were getting on... sorry to hear about the crash

Comment

Vw Tuareg I was in MR2 no contest.any idea re flu temp boss?

Comment

As you can see arch still needs pointing in used high temp silicone between inner outer arch also fibre rope to seal stuck wth special glue that came with rope doubled up on the rope to ensure smoke tight seal.Granite is antique brown it was second hand came out of a office reception I had to cut it to fit arro

Comment

If you are putting a Dektite on a single flue pipe, provided it is more than a metre higher than the oven and you don't allow vicious flame up the flue pipe, then you'll be fine, but choose the orange silicon one which is higher temp rated. If it's a double flue then you can use the standard one.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ok David thanks will do bright orange it is it will be like a beacon for any low flying planes

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4190429.jpg Views:	1 Size:	236.7 KB ID:	397190 Hi Bauldy,

i've just read you whole thread, must have missed it. Regarding your idea of using stainlessties in the layer over the dome to anchor the chicken wire to, I use a similar system, but be aware that they will act to conduct heat away from the dome to the outside of you insulation, so it's important to reduce this by reducing their mass as much as you can. In kiln building, fine fireproof wire and ceramic buttons are used to keep the inner layer in place. The thinner the wire the less heat it can conduct. I use thin tie wire and not too many (8) of them. It is a far faster and better solution than than drilling and screwing into refractory.

Regarding flue height most councils require 600 mm (2ft) above the roof, and 50 mm away from the guttering but check your local code and as Gulf advised fit a spark arrestor, you wouldn't want to set fire to leaves in the guttering. Although I've never seen a spark out the flue from a cross draft WFO.
                    Last edited by david s; 04-19-2017, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Forgot to add rope gasket photo sorry it's out of sequence

Comment

• Good job on the granite Bauldy. I don't have my chimney attached at the monent so can't test it - sorry...

Comment

• Ok boss I've gone for a stainless flashing from flu supplies in Kent should get shinny bits on Tuesday. Been looking at tools gonna get brass brush ember mover round brush long dust shovel .then il be ready to start curing.Going to try and finish rest of sink pluming and grind granite upstand that I've cobbled together using offcuts will post more pics fri .
                          Do you have any up to date pics boss?

Comment

• Skip the brass brush, there have been incidents where people have ingested bits that have come loose from the brush and they've pierced their intestines or bowel, very nasty. A length of pipe, old golf club shaft or ski pole works excellently, but you must remember to blow not suck.

Comment

• I avoided the brush after reading that here... but somebody suggested that a good 'peel slap' should suffice and it seems fine for me. If you're baking bread you can mop the surface.

I should have new pics next week when I start the exterior brickwork around the chimney
                              Last edited by jonv; 04-20-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Oh had not heard of that was going to buy brushes from a pro catering company £60 odd each I would of thought they would have been up to the job .I thought you used brass brush after the fire and cooking was done to clean out food residue and any stuck on ash or wood sap. Then use a natural brush &span to remove ash maybe go over with a ash Hoover.Then when using oven a use a ember rake stainless to push embers to side cook eat clear up job done.Or am I missing something? Why would you use a brass brush during cooking? Why would you not clean up properly after?

Comment

Working...
                                X