My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 36" corner build with Argentine Grill and spit roast

Just started my build, any comments or suggestions welcome.

Looking good! When I looked at that first picture I thought "man, that's a low oven"
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

No decided to do a wood storage area with a drawer that slides out will try and post pics

Comment

Layed a 6" reinforced base above arch then used 4" cel on blocks they are a insulating block we have here in uk made from recycled ash then 3" of insulation board then firebricks.Will go with dome shape straight on top of oven floor,with a expansion /insulation gap in floor with stainless cover and granite landing.Using a air dry ready mixed fire cement gaps if poss under 10 mm.

Comment

Having trouble with uploading photos

Comment

Neat job on the bricks there. Looking good

Two thoughts. First, are you sure you have enough room at the back to get a decent layer of insulation on and render if you're going that route? Second, it's my understanding that the ready mixed air set mortars are not ideal for a WFO. No doubt one of the more experienced builders here can confirm whether this is true or an error on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by jonv View Post
              Neat job on the bricks there. Looking good

Two thoughts. First, are you sure you have enough room at the back to get a decent layer of insulation on and render if you're going that route? Second, it's my understanding that the ready mixed air set mortars are not ideal for a WFO. No doubt one of the more experienced builders here can confirm whether this is true or an error on my part.
              i used one of these and have had zero problems , nor can i see any reason why you should. the external render gets hotter from the sun in NQ Australia then it ever does from the oven fire

Comment

Bauldy 2,

Great looking brick work. I really like those old brick. Check to see if you have somehow changed photo size or type (JPG, GIFF, PNG, BMP etc.) since your last successful uploads.
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for comments I should have plenty of room at the back 7" I think photo distorts the space cement ok to 1600 degrees c .Thanks for positive comments Gulf.
                  Will try again with photos as I've cracked on the last couple of days and have a either or question regarding tie in of arch to dome.im not sure whether to keep arch half bricks and cut last dome brick to fit with a v shape cut or to adjust the length of each arch brick as I go which is stronger .?i don't want a ash trap.

Comment

The old bricks are London yellow stocks they were often hand made and they threw iron filings into the kiln to add colour you can get red and multi colour ones as well .They cost between £1.50 and£3.00 per brick! I ll post some pics later I think they are approx 80 years old you can buy new old stocks but they are more uniform.

Comment

The old bricks look great. Regarding your arch question, you will probably need more than a half brick depth when you get towards the top of the arch in order to intersect with the dome... adjusting the length of each arch brick is ideal imo.

Comment

Yep I think I will re cut shame because they came out well.The ready mix stuff I got from kilnlinings expensive but I knew I'd be working through winter and it's made with silicone so frost should not be as much as a issue (I'm wrapping it up each night in 3 dust sheets.)Its very sticky stuff may get one more course done tomorrow gravity will no doubt slow me up.Hiring saw so got to work fast!!aiming to finish dome buy the end of the month

Comment

Yeah, it's a pity. I've lost count of the number of bricks I've recut or put aside for when I need 'thirds' later on! I'm trying to avoid the frost too - wrapping mine in a couple of old thick curtains. I was hoping for a mild winter... :/ My mortar isn't very sticky but it does set up quickly - gravity is just becoming an issue having cleared the arch.

Comment

Yep had to use sticks today to support latest course will recut arch tonight will adjust each one to fit just reluctant to place arch form in as I know it will be in the way and I'm clumsy enough to catch it!! I may just try and do first four bricks either side remove form then carry on with dome.

Comment

Bauldy, your arch form only contacts the arch bricks, so it should not be in the way of your dome. Many builders (myself included) place their arch forms and don't remove them till the dome clears the arch. Just don't forget to shim under the form so you can remove it without disturbing the arch.
                              My build thread
                              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
                              X